Friday 3 September 2021

Cheap Beds For Hire - the Only Hotel in Town!

In my last post, I showed off three of the fantastic buildings scratchbuilt for me by Grimsforge. This time round it's one of the larger buildings that Graham built for me, which I'd described as a 'two-storey house' in my concept sketch. As it turns out, there's been a change of use and it's now the town hotel!


A weary traveller attempts to negotiate room rates.

The original sketch I drew is below - I wanted a larger, more imposing building than my others. And that meant a second storey.



When it came to painting the building up however, I felt that the big frontage needed some additional detailing to liven it up - so I decided the building should be repurposed as a hotel (probably the kind with tiny rooms and bunkbeds that are purchased on an hourly rate).

I added a hotel sign to the frontage made from plasticard and lettering from a very cheap light up peg board (£4.99 for the board including 250 letters gives me loads of future signage potential). I also added a few plastic lights from some Games Workshop scenery kits for further interest.



I attempted to do some red glow effects around the small round lights. It's lost a little vibrancy in the photos, but looks pretty good in real life! I also made a stencil for the big painted arrows on the sides of the building to increase the hotel theming.


I kept the rear pretty plain and boring - just like real hotels!



Another Grimsforge building done - just one more to do and I think I'm pretty much finished with this one horse town!


13 comments:

  1. I'm increasingly eager to play in that part of the city now, the real cohesion and atmospheric look of those late buildings is really going to take your table top up a level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JB! It's definitely gone from being a small cluster of buildings to a much more substantial settlement. I'm really enjoying adding each building, and finding a little narrative angle as I go.

      Delete
  2. That is so damn cool!
    You've simply nailed it - ace stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Glad you like it 🙂

      Delete
  3. 😆😆 It really does suggest you ought to lower any expectations doesn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd stay there and so would my... ahem.... "girlfriend(s)". ;)

    Awesome work mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those multiple temporary girlfriends?!

      Glad you like it.

      Delete
    2. In my imaginary alter-ego's life, yeah. He's a bad lad. In this life, that hotel would be in a part of town I'd be afraid to venture into!

      Delete
  5. I love the hotel sign! Looks so lifelike! Great job and a fabulous addition to the town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm intrigued to know where you've seen similar signs - probably hotels we should all avoid! Thanks 🙂

      Delete
  6. Very impressive looking hotel indeed. That hotel sign looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, I'm pleased with how it came out.

      Delete