Monday 13 March 2017

Aegis Arising - The Gun-Cutter

I've wanted a small aerial / space transport for a little while. I have a shuttle or two, but I was after something in the vein of the gun-cutter utilised by Inquisitor Eisenhorn in Dan Abnett's excellent novels. Although there are the boxy Thunderhawks, Storm Eagles and all their variants, I didn't want something so recognisable. Similarly, Imperial Guard Valkyries are excellent, but they're clearly not space-worthy. By chance, I mentioned this to a friend. By chance he happened to have access to the Mantic Accuser Interceptor from their recent Warpath Kickstarter (I believe these aren't yet on general release).

Mantic Accuser Interceptor render.
 
The kit comes with optional weaponry and transport compartment. I discarded the missiles, and built the variant with the transport compartment. The kit itself was pretty easy to assemble, with just 21 pieces to put together. Everything fitted pretty nicely, and while a few extra pieces would have helped to hide the join lines between components, the whole thing comes together well. The wing/gun elements aren't glued and can rotate, but I suspect I won't use this 'in flight'.
 
I gave the gun-cutter a beaten-up grey paint scheme, with orange flashes on the wings and tail.

The windows got a basic blue tinted glass.


After some feedback, I added a few decals to break up the surfaces a little.

The rear door is magnetised, as it can't stay closed without being glued otherwise.

I painted the recesses on the sides of the transport compartment as viewing slits.



The transport compartment got a light tan colour scheme with some glowing interior lights.


After 23 days in the void, ace pilot 'Xhonni' Xhonzhon takes a short re-supply stop.
 
Whilst there are a couple of elements of Mantic's design that I don't like (tiny cockpit windows, seam-line on the engine exhausts), overall it's a neat little transport, and it will be suitable for transporting incognito Inquisitors, Imperial Guard snatch teams, or smugglers as required!
 

21 comments:

  1. Cool transport Axiom! I'm not much of a fan of the modern GW spaceships, this Mantic one looks great!

    I like the dark grey colour scheme and the weathering is very tasty, really subtle and effective :)

    I'm actually 3/4 of the way through building my own transport atm....strange coincidence huh :D

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I very much look forward to seeing your transport - another scratch built creation?

      Delete
    2. For sure, I'm too tight to buy anything :D

      Delete
  2. Agreed, that's a great transport. Fits the overall 40K vibe without being too 'Space Marine'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly that! The Space Marine transports are too recognisable.

      Delete
  3. Hey that is great! I have been eyeing this ship for pretty much the same use... Mantic needs to get it out on general release.

    I like your paint job (as usual), but maybe a few nose scorch marks would not be amiss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nose scorch marks! I did intend to do some. I'll address that ASAP ;)

      Delete
  4. :O :O :O
    Thorn wishes Aegis! Suber wishes it too!
    I hadn't seen this one, it's so cool! I'm in some spaceship fever lately, you are just making it worse! Nice job there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice Glossia there Suber ;)

      It's worth looking this one out when it goes on general release. Are you working on some spaceships? I must keep an eye on your blog!

      Delete
  5. Thorn admires Aegis. The rainbow, delights.

    Betancore would be proud to fly her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both Betancores, senior and junior, would be welcome :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, that is properly lurverly... got to get me one of those when they come out... Perfect RT style - not too hi-brow space opera, not too grim-dark, not too Imperial... a Goldilocks ship if you will. You've painted it perfectly, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It certainly fits the bill as a multifunctional craft, without having the downside of being instantly recognisable.

      Delete
  7. Deepply satisfying to see you tick all the boxes of what makes a good setting. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day I plan to have a massive diorama set up with all my 'stuff', just to prove I've made a fully rounded setting ;)

      Delete
  8. When I saw the colours I thought that it might be intended to be part of your shipping companies fleet actually, but its well suited to gun cutter in the Dan-iverse role. Im likely to copy this idea.

    Xhonni always makes me smile too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I carefully selected the colours so it could be used for the Orange Star Line. Or not. Flexibility was the key here :)

      Delete
  9. I really like this ship design and wasn't even aware it existed. Wonder how much Mantic will sell it for?

    Fits in perfectly in your setting mate. I like how you went with the sand colour for the interior and magnetised that back door. (Something I'll keep in mind should I pick one of these beauties up.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. I think it was $20 or so in the Kickstarter. Maybe they'll increase to £30?

      The sand interior was a little extra work, but worth it I think. It adds another level of realism.

      Delete
  10. That is indeed an impressive looking transport. And as with all transports, a weathered look is always the best choice, in my opinion anyway. Nice!

    ReplyDelete