Friday 12 May 2023

Psyker Killers, Qu'est-ce Que C'est?

The only downside to the Marauder Confrontation figures is that there aren't enough of them. Four Ash Waste Nomads. Four Venators. Four Psykers. Four figures isn't enough to make a gang of anything (except possibly a rubbish gang that needs to rethink its recruitment policy!).


So on the heels of my four Marauder psykers and my converted leader, I wanted to add some more big-headed lads with mind powers.


Venators corner a notorious group of psykers on their witch hunt.

I've added a pair of new figures this time, both converted from figures that I believe to be from the hands of Aly or Trish Morrison, and as a result have a similar aesthetic to the Marauder sculpts.




The figure on the left is based on 'Falcon' - a Warhammer Fantasy fighter from the Dogs of War range. I removed the original head and replaced it with one of the two heads from the Judge Dredd mutie 'Two Heads'. The laspistol is from an old Imperial Army trooper, and then I added a few little decorations to tie him in with the Marauder psykers. I also enlarged his cranium - I ended up making it bigger and more lumpy than in these WIP photos.


The figure on the right uses the legs from the same Imperial Army trooper who donated the pistol hand. The body is from the Judge Dredd sky surfer 'Yogi'. I love the way that it feels as if he is generating a psychic field or perhaps telekinetically pushing away some enemies.



I went for a brighter scheme on the telekine - a little out of my comfort zone, but I like the end result!



The other psyker (psychic discipline TBC) has a colour scheme that is in the same range as Yan Tibbault, my Five Parsecs psyker who pleasingly has a mirror pose. 




I figure that Yan and his mirror image (Jan?) might be brothers that never stop arguing! Which pleasingly allows me to set up photos like this: 


I've another couple of psykers in the same vein in the works, so hopefully a decently-sized gang isn't too far away!



14 comments:

  1. Really nice painting and converting. I don't think I've ever seen those models before. Bonus points for the Talking Heads reference, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toby! Nice to get some Talking Heads in there, right?!

      Delete
    2. Everybody should make a Talking Heads reference once in a lifetime!

      Delete
    3. Bravo, very well done!!

      Delete
  2. Great conversions, and I love the colors on these two! The Telekine colors in particular look fantastic; he'll stand out in all the perfect ways. Glad to see you continue this crew. I need some ideas for a psyker I need for a project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hobbs, glad the orange works for you! I reckon any figure with a big bald head works for a psyker, especially with a fancy cloak 🙂

      Delete
  3. I thought of the smaller gang sizes with the limited number of sculpts a reinforcement of the Confrontation ethos of smaller, more desperate games where you are tracking ammo count and hit locations. For larger games, I have kept the smaller 'gangs', but allied them together in ad hoc alliances or called favors. Allied Venators and Muties might be a stretch, but I could see how most gangs in the 'middle' could find some commonality for hijinks to ensue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right Mike - if you're using Confrontation rules then small gangs are the way to go. These days though I'm either using Necromunda or Stargrave, so a group of 8-12 is the ideal really!

      Delete
  4. For some reason they remind me of the Ferengi! I think it's the lumpy craniums and gaudy clothes! ☺️

    Sterling work as always! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'll be able to unsee the connection - definitely lots of parallels!

      Delete
  5. Seamless conversion work and I really like the orange scheme too. Lovely work as always sir.

    ReplyDelete