Thursday 29 July 2021

Rab's Supplies - A Fringe World General Store

Whilst I was enthused about getting some buildings painted, I decided to dig out another building that's been sat unpainted in a box for far too long! You can never have too many buildings to add variety to a settlement and gaming set-ups.


This most recent building is the large two-storey building in the centre of the scene above. It's a now OOP building from JR Miniatures' Steampunk range. This is the Iron House, one of 3 buildings with lift off roofs. I've never seen the other buildings in the range, and just happened to pick this building from an end of line sale.



The building itself is made from a weird papery resin that wasn't particularly pleasant to work with. It has a chunky 16 x 11cm footprint and is 14.5cm tall. To my mind it looks like an Old West barn or stable, but I decided to painted it up as a general store.




Like all my buildings, I went from a grey base with some drybrushing with added of grime and rust streaks. I had fun adding the advertising elements, with plenty of posters stuck on to finish it off.



I just wish I'd thought to add a back door!

The roof is removable, but the original model just has a large open space, with no way to access the upper windows. To increase the playability I added a mezzanine floor made from a rectangle of thick plasticard. It sits on some supporting struts that I glued to each of the long sides of the building, and I added a little access hatch just as a little extra bit of detail.




It was a pretty quick task, but it does now mean that miniatures can be placed inside building with vantage points from the upper windows.


All in all, I think the building works nicely alongside my other frontier town buildings. I could have increased playability by adding some ladders and extra doors, but it's good enough for my purposes!




18 comments:

  1. Very cool building. I always love how alive they look with the little details like hand painted signs and posters. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hobbs! I think all the little details really help to sell it - it doesn't take much more effort, the results are worth it though.

      Delete
  2. man everything you do is cool as hell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent use of an odd model!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the little details on the posters, such as the "scam!" graffiti. Detailception. Building fits right in amongst your others. I would love to see all of your buildings in one photo album. It must be an entire city by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if anyone would notice the little bits of graffiti! I'll have a look and see if some sort of gallery I'd possible :)

      Delete
  5. Very nice! It's a bit of a strange model but you've turned it into something very characterful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Toby. It's a nice enough model really, very functional!

      Delete
  6. It turned out really well! The shape does have a Western feel, but your reinterpretation makes it look like something totally different, that's quite something!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! I enjoyed adding all the signage to render it as a commercial property 🙂

      Delete
  7. You should add some shelves, that'd be the cherry on the cake! Awesome stuff tho:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I do have some Crooked Dice shelves somewhere, good call!

      Delete
  8. Another lovely addition mate. Very good idea to add the 2nd floor so you can utilise the upper windows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai! Glad you approve of the extra floor

      Delete