A year ago when I painted up some Iron Claw space pirates in a Star Wars rebel commando scheme, I didn't imagine that I'd slide down a slippery slope that led to converting Bob Olley sculpts as Yoda, Jabba, Lando or Boba Fett. It's been a brilliantly fun project that has challenged me in a lot of ways - tracking down obscure miniatures from defunct companies, repurposing them or converting them in new ways.
For the record, I have made 22 rebels and 25 imperials, plus a saarlac pit. The last pair of figures to be included in these totals are everyone's favourite droids.
The droids have been the most problematic part of this whole project. Bob sculpted only a handful of robots over the course of his prolific career. I used the Kryomek talos to create IG-88, and the other options were aesthetically too far away from R2-D2 or C-3PO.
Artoo has actually been finished for quite a long time - I built him at the same time as Luke and Leia back in January. Threepio on the other hand has been much more challenging - even the end result is a bit of a compromise!
I built Artoo from a piece cut from one of Bob's Iron Claw jump troopers. Artoo is actually the jump trooper's helmeted head and top of the jump pack rotated through 90 degrees and with added legs!
Whilst the result isn't quite the dome-topped cylinder that Artoo actually is, I think the silhouette and size are just about right!
As I mentioned, Threepio was much more of a challenge. For a long time, I had no idea how to make him. I briefly considered painting a Rogue Trader servitor gold. At one point, I thought I'd sourced a suitable steampunk construct from Ral Partha, but it turns out that it was mis-labelled on their website and wasn't actually an Olley sculpt. The figure I eventually built is only 50% Olley - he's the torso and head of a Bob Olley genestealer hybrid on Eldar legs and with Eldar jetbike rider arms:
![]() |
| I forgot to take unpainted pics of the completed conversion - sorry! |
I decided that 50% Olley but complete and recognisable as the character was more important than waiting to discover a perfect solution which may not exist.
Although I don't plan to make any more figures for this project, I guess there's plenty of scope to make jawas, ewoks, cantina aliens or tauntauns in the future - I just need to stumble on a suitable Olley sculpt. Either way, I hope you've enjoyed this project as much as I have!




Brilliant. A fitting end to a really fun project.
ReplyDeleteIt seemed only right to finish with these two. After all, the story is about them 😉
DeleteI am usually ambivalent about these sort of cross-IP things but cannot help but love this project. Uscarl Miniatures advertise a small range of Olley sculpts which I have never seen in the wild. I have never bought from them, so no idea what they are like to deal with.
ReplyDeleteFunnily enough, I generally don't like cross-over projects either 😀
DeleteThe Uscarl figures are great - I bought them on release several years ago (haven't painted them yet though!). They arrived quickly then - let's hope they're still providing a good service.
Really enjoyed this project! These two rounded out a fab collection that definitely fit your theme and Star Wars as a whole. Really well done mate.
ReplyDeleteThanks Dai! I think it was the right way to finish off the project 🙂
DeleteNow you've just gotta figure out how to play them: what system do you think would work well?
ReplyDeleteStargrave is my go-to for scifi skirmish. You can even have force users and light sabers!
Delete