Wednesday 10 July 2024

Inq et nunc - 54mm Castellan Robot

The robots that Citadel released for Rogue Trader are some of my favourite 40k miniatures. They are big (for 28mm scale), fun and interesting sculpts that really do draw on the sci-fi artwork of the era. A few years ago I picked up an upscaled resin version of the one of the RT robot designs (the Castellan) that was available from the short-lived Troll Soup Miniatures. I'm not entirely sure what the rationale was behind the enlargement, but to all intents and purposes the sculpts were carbon copies of the originals, but bigger. Much bigger! In the event, I decided the larger Castellan was too big for 28mm gaming, but I put it aside with my 54mm Inquisitor figures for a rainy day!


Dick Slevlan suddenly looks pretty brave with his tough-guy associates!

I'm glad I kept the Castellan aside, as I think he's a pretty great scale match for the 54mm figures. Check out the scale comparison:

L-R: Confrontation tech ganger; Rogue Trader Castellan; 54mm Inquisitor; Troll Soup Castellan

In terms of the paint scheme, I wanted to make a homage to the exotic schemes shown in the Warhammer 40,000 Compendium:


'Robot classes and livery', Warhammer 40,000 Compendium (Games Workshop)


The scheme I went for most closely resembles that of the Colossus in the middle of the bottom row, but on the advice of Asslessman I decided not to give myself a major headache by attempting checks across 50% of a model without a single flat surface. Hopefully the single pad gives the right vibe!






I'm still exploring options as to how this guy gets used in a game of Inquisitor. As a playable character, basing him on a Skitarii servitor seems the best route, but he might be best off as a scenario-specific thing.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, this is so crazy! I find this behemoth truly gorgeous, and I think you took the right path with the paintjob. Lovely work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! It's a lovely model. Glad you approve of the paintjob!

      Delete
  2. Very nicely done. It scales perfectly.
    Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's great! Nice paintjob too.

    ReplyDelete