Wednesday 17 July 2024

Inq et nunc - Rask Dogar, 54mm Ratling

(One of the) glaring omissions in the 54mm Inquisitor range were abhumans. Where are the ratlings, beastmen and ogryns? OK, maybe ogryns might have been a bit unsubtle and overpowered, but I'd have loved to have seen a ratling. Rask Dogar is my attempt at filling that gap. He's not actually my first attempt at a ratling (more on that in a future post), but is the one I'm most pleased with.


I spent a long time looking for a base figure to convert that scaled nicely against 54mm human-sized figures. In the end, I settled on the old Blood Bowl chaos star player Bilerot Vomitflesh. Mainly because of the belly! The addition of the larger Preacher Josef head did a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of shifting the scale, replacing the much smaller and lower-set original head. Then it was a case of minor alterations and additions.



The scanner is a 25mm scifi backpack. I couldn't source a Space Marine auspex which would have been my first choice.

I wanted Rask to evoke the ratling twins Rein and Raus from Blackstone Fortress (the third brother no-one talks about?!), so he got a big pack and plenty of gear. The Preacher Josef head handily had similar facial hair to other recent GW ratlings, so I just added an eye-patch to alter the feel a little.

Backpack is from an old Necromunda heavy, whilst the shotgun is from a Gorkamorka ork biker.

The feet are from a plastic Blood Bowl halfling.

Most of the sculpting was gap filling or blending of different parts to make the whole figure hang together better.


The colour scheme was intended to link to Rask Dogar's backstory of being ex-Imperial Guard. Hence the khaki green shirt and regimental insignia.




Ratlings like to acquire all sorts of useful gear, hence the bulging backpack.


Rask stands at about waist height to most 54mm Inquisitor models. I think this puts him at about the right size (smaller than a squat would be at about shoulder height). I suspect he's just the sort of agent that an unscrupulous Inquisitor would put to use to steal, sneak and spy!

A pair of unsavoury characters - no-one wants to be associated with ratlings or hive scum.


Rask Dogar and Soemon search through a storehouse.



2 comments:

  1. I thought about the BSF twins even before reading about them, it's a perfect rendition of the concept

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Hopefully means there are enough shared visual cues. Cheers JB!

      Delete