Thursday 22 December 2022

A Stargrave Crew (Expanded from the Five Parsecs From Home Crew) - The Squat

If you've been keeping an eye on the blog over the last month or so, you'll know that I've put together a 6-strong Five Parsecs From Home crew. I've also been using them to spark other sub-projects, with a 10-strong Stargrave crew foremost in my mind. The final addition to this project is my last Stargrave crew member in the form of a classic Bob Olley squat. 


I have a bunch of old squats in my boxes. Most of them are destined for other things (all my Iron Claw squats will one day be a faction of their own for example), but I've always been very fond of the Bob Olley squat with shuriken catapult. There's something really fun about the way he stubbornly uses a signature weapon of a race squats are supposed to despise. I also like the way his cap and jacket give him a much less militaristic look than his compatriots.



So that's the Stargrave crew finalised and they're hitting pretty much every RT touchstone. The perfect mix of oddballs, aliens and hard-bitten mercenaries and adventurers! Here's all 10 and their Stargrave types:

L-R: Runner, Robot Trooper, Recruit

L-R: Trooper, Pscionist Captain, Striker

L-R: Sentry with shotgun, Robotics Expert First Mate, Pathfinder, Trooper

I'm looking forward to using the full crew in a Stargrave game some time soon!

The crew of The Psephonie land in an alien wilderness in search of ancient tech.



18 comments:

  1. That squat is great, and a perfect addition to wrap of the crew. Love the coloring you gave him, simple but flexible enough to fit with other crews if you chose to.

    I've mostly been buying modern oldhammer fan sculpts or other minis that fit RT vibe these days, but if I ever collect again I want the set of minis with eldar weapons. It's such a RT thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hobbs. I reckon it would be easy enough to spin out the colour scheme into something nice for a squat crew.

      A small group with looted Eldar tech is a very cool idea - you should do it!

      Delete
    2. I'm considering it. Making a list of the official models. So far I found six: The squat, the Imperial scout, the bandit, marine 16, and two scouts. Of which I have the imperial scout...

      Delete
    3. It's a select little group! IIRC the punk from the adventurers range also has an Eldar laspistol like the bandit.

      Delete
    4. It's hard to tell from the pics I've found online, but you may be correct. Unfortunately, though I have that model the previous owner had hacked that arm off... Maybe I know what to replace it with now!

      Delete
  2. Olley's Squats will forever be my fav GW sculpts of all time.

    Cracking paintjob on a lovely and classic little mini. Hope we get to read on the exploits of The Psephonie's crew in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on the Olley squats Dai. I find them much more characterful sculpts than the Perry squats. Glad you like this guy!

      Delete
  3. I've been meaning to paint up my Farscape crew pastiche for Stargrave (complete with 3D printed Leviathan Shuttle Pod).

    I'm also making up a Five Parsecs From Home crew based on another cult sci-fi show. :3

    It'd be good to get some games going in 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! There's definitely a big enough universe for more cult TV characters to get painted!

      Delete
  4. Hooray! Well done! The whole crew pic is epic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber, very pleased with how the crew came together 🙂

      Delete
  5. wow the robot from the space farer range - that's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great looking final piece to your 'puzzle'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, really happy to finish off the project.

      Delete
  7. Oh, great stuff Axiom. That's a great squat. I'm always a fan of imperial forces carrying elf guns and that squat is all of the bee's many knees. Also love what you did with the djokaero. Missed that somehow. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm with you on all those subversive Imperial types. They're clearly sticking it to the man 😉

      Delete
    2. If you'll pardon a slight tangent, it reminds me a bit of some of the comments my grandfather made about Japanese weapons in World War II. He was in the First Marine Raider Battalion, and later the 4th Marines, so he had a bit of experience on the receiving end of some of that hardware. I was really surprised one time during a family dinner when he was remarkably complimentary of a Nambu he faced, and that he and the folks in his unit sometimes made good use of captured Japanese weapons. Later still I found out he had managed to sneak a late war 7.7 mm Arisaka home. So he kind of WAS that squat with the shuriken catapult. There's something real about that. It speaks to a kind of experience that no amount of spit and polish can replace.

      Delete