Over the last couple of months, ex-Marauder and Citadel sculptor Trish Carden (previously Trish Morrison) has been sharing a host of memories and pictures of many of her sculpts on Facebook. This has revealed that Trish has been responsible for many more classic figures than many people believed. As a celebration of Trish's output, the Oldhammer Facebook group has run a painting challenge titled #makeatrish. Below is my entry.
The sheer number of possible candidate figures available was mind-boggling. I could have chosen space slann, treemen, high elves or any quantity of the beasties that Trish is famous for.
In the end I settled on this pair of Marauder Empire citizens that had been discarded into my trade box because I had no real plans for them - a beggar and a figure that could be a scribe, bookseller or perhaps an apprentice wizard. Trish had happily shared photos of the greens on her Facebook posts:
|The green of the poor beggar is even more worse for wear than the original sculpt!|
I removed both figures from their tags and set them onto a scenic base (from The 36 Chambers sold on ebay). I positioned them so that the beggar looked as if he was in the road, with the aloof citizen attempting to ignore the beggar as he hurried past on the pavement.
To add some more interest to the scene, I also added a pile of horse droppings made by rolling a few small ovals of greenstuff. I also added a small pet/familiar for the scribe. This is a small winged cat that I had sculpted by John Pickford for my Eternal Champion collection (you can see a black and white version of him here).
The beggar was painted up with pale, sickly skin with yellow tones and a greenish note. I painted his clothing to look dirty and worn.
The bookseller was given a much more saturated colour palette - a healthy skin glow, luxuriant blonde hair, robes dyed in expensive purple, grey slippers and matching grey shoulder drapery. I painted his winged cat familiar white just so it was different from the black and white version I've painted previously.
The base itself was painted in a mid-grey and then variously washed, stippled and drybrushed with everything from dark browns through to light grey.
I painted the horse dung in a very dark brown, before giving it a coat of 50/50 gloss/matt varnish to give that newly produced look! I did get some feedback that suggested my dung should be browner, but I guarantee that I did research and looked at plenty of photos of horse poo before selecting this particular 'finish'!.
The final touches were a couple of grass tufts from Army Painter and some lasercut paper maple leaves from Plus Model.
Hopefully Trish likes the resulting vignette. I'm looking forward to seeing all the other entries!