Tuesday 15 November 2022

The Mega Mind - Psyker Gang Leader

It was inevitable that after painting the four Confrontation psyker models I would want to add to the group. After all, four figures isn't a playable gang. ten or so certainly is. I've got a few WIP models that I will use to round out the gang, but I decided to focus on a leader first of all.



I wanted to follow the design cues from the original psyker quartet - that meant oversized Marauder style heads, feet and hands, smug expressions and stupidly ostentatious clothing. I settled on the Citadel Paranoia High Programmer as the base model for my leader. I'm not certain, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was an Aly or Trish sculpt.



I added a bunch of additional details to give him the right look - bigger head, psychic collar, fur stole and plenty of amulets and charms.


Paint-wise, I went for a red and gold scheme to try and give the impression of a high-ranking character. I'm not 100% happy with the choice (it's a bit chaos-y) and in retrospect should have gone for more of a magenta. But it's striking enough and it does mean he can happily act as a cult leader should I ever need one.



His companion is an unreleased Inquisitional familiar from the early 2000s which had the perfect mini-me look.



The crew is now starting to take shape in a pleasing way:




14 comments:

  1. This many psykers itches my inner Venator...
    I love the leader, I find the religious red works well actually. Are you going to include some of the other psyker gangers and possibly some of the sanctionned psykers from 2nd ed ? or maybe some Olleys ?, there's actually quite a few to pick from !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Venator-Psyker encounter would be fun! It's the classic match-up, but I wonder how many times it's actually happened on a tabletop.

      I'm going to be relatively focused with my model selection and am aiming to only use figures with those exaggerated Marauder proportions. I do have some plans that I'm working on!

      Delete
  2. The red is very regal looking, I dig it for sure! The conversion work is ace as always. A very imposing boss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Hobbs! I reckon every big boss should have a big collar - definitely adds to the vibe.

      Delete
  3. I think I'm in agreement with you on the scheme - that red seems to much of a departure from the colours you've used with the existing gang members. Saying that, you can mitigate that by adding similar reds to newer additions perhaps?

    Regardless, as always, your additions to existing classic sculpts are fab mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I'm loath to change it now - I'll sit on it and hope the red grows on me! Let's hope so 🤞

      Delete
  4. I love your work and your blog has been great inspiration in my own hobby projects. I was curious since you work so heavily with older metal models, do you have a recommendation for the methods you use to cut up the metal pieces you use for conversion that helps you be precise and preserve as much detail as possible? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really glad you like the blog! I generally use a razor saw, flush cut clippers and files to convert metal figures. It's tricky sometimes and you need to plan your cuts, and there are always times where you might have to sacrifice a part of a figure to remove the component you need!

      The razor saw I use is this one - cheap and cheerful, but cuts well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zona-SA35-200-35-200-Razor/dp/B0031HX4UC/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=16NFTOI28XPM5&keywords=razor+saw&qid=1668584726&sprefix=razor+saw%2Caps%2C332&sr=8-3

      Delete
  5. I didn't realize citadel had done paranoia minis. The vulture warriors from dimension X scenario in white dwarf now makes so much more sense. Find trouble and shoot it citizens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - a small range of about 20 or so figures in 1986. They're a bit exaggerated even compared against RT figures, but they're fun 🙂

      Delete
  6. Oh, he reminds me a lot of the "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" guys. Lookin good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, very nice! I always love a good movie reference, and your psyker looks precisely the business. You've captured the look of those early sanctioned psykers well in your presumably more unsanctioned model. We'll have to see how well he faces off against Inquisitor Powers. And how many credits he demands when he threatens to blow up Macragge. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! He's definitely not-very sanctioned. And probably hugely over-confident of his abilities - aren't all evil megalomaniacs after all?!

      Delete