Tuesday 22 March 2022

The Back-Alleys of Hyams Landing

The next evolution of Hyam's landing is to make sense of the spaces with dividers and connectors. No human settlement is comprised of a selection of completely separate buildings - there are walls and hedge, roads, alleys and fences. I got Graham at Grimsforge to make me a selection of structures that I can place against or inbetween my existing buildings to try and emulate that real urban feel.



The new structures are four walls with access points in them (solid walls to come at some future point. Like the rest of my Grimsforge terrain, I drew up what I hoped would look cool, and then Graham built them for me mainly from card.





And realised in 3D:


I painted up the walls / entrances to go with the rest of the terrain - pretty basic paintjobs with the added dust, dirt and grime to make it look lived in. I did also have a bit of fun with some graffiti and posters.


Secure gateway




Stepped access




Colonnade




Security Scanner



Looking forward to getting these into some future games!


24 comments:

  1. This is looking great, you've got a great little metropolis building up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jimmy! That's suburban sprawl for you 😉

      Delete
  2. I love that you are adding these little parts to build this fully realized town. Great concepts, great execution, and wonderful paint jobs. The graffiti looks very natural ...in that, it's what I would see in a city.

    I'm with Carmine, I'm going to steal some of these ideas for my eventual settlement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hobbs! It's all about trying to make some cool little corners that look like they make sense. I did spend some valuable time researching graffiti tags too!

      Delete
  3. Really nice work. Great urban vibe to it. Can I ask where did the figure with the spray can come from? I've been looking for something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! The spray can figure is a Judge Dredd perp from Citadel. Now OOP, but they do pop up on ebay pretty frequently.

      Delete
  4. Lovely work! The style of the pieces really fits your other terrain, and they go together very well. That's not a nod to Peter Hyams who made Outland, is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toby. As it happens I've not seen Outland, but as soon as I saw it's a 1980s sci-fi thriller, I realise I absolutely must!

      Hyams is after the character that Tony Hough illustrated for an unpublished 40k novel: http://magpieandoldlead.blogspot.com/2016/11/hyams-story-that-was-never-told.html

      Delete
    2. That's really interesting! I never knew about Hyams. I wonder who was going to write it?

      Outland isn't a bad film, and the set design is brilliant. Well worth a look.

      Delete
    3. I wish I knew too! Tony's illustrations are the only evidence of the project it seems.

      Delete
  5. Just more goodness to add to an already fantastic setup. That security scanner is such a good idea too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai! I probably should have added some sort of extermination device on the inside of the security scanner to eliminate undesirables!

      Delete
  6. They all are creative, not mere walls, but each of them with a particular flavour, I find them really enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! I will be adding some blank ordinary walls as well, but I really wanted something with a lot of character.

      Delete
  7. So much planning seems to have gone into this work i.e. the "blueprints". The things we do for this hobby :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The open arch is my favourite, it creates a border and a link at once, you can move through it but can't quite see through so that's very intersting gaming wise and visually too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that one too, it definitely conveys space and boundary nicely. Plus it looks cool!

      Delete
  9. Some great inspiration for my own scifi settlement

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic! Looking forward to seeing yours develop.

      Delete