Wednesday 28 August 2024

The Elite Gangers of House Ulanti

Although the Techs, Brats and Ash Waste Nomads from the Confrontation game got most of the limelight, much of the setting was about hive gangs. The few figures that were produced were split into four gangs which have become known as Dogskins, Hunters, Maniacs (or sometimes Maniax) and Elites. The Elite leader is an iconic miniature with his gnomish hood, pelisse and pit bull. I painted him back in 2015. But the other three gangers are pretty uninspiring. They don't really have a strong visual identity compared to the Hunters or the Dogskins. Maybe this was the reason they'd been in my WIP pile for several years!


However, in search of a quick post holiday project, I pulled them out, added some arms and got them painted:



Taking the cue from the leader, I added arms with AK47 style autoguns and blended the arm joins. 


#1 & #2 have Stargrave arms, #3 has Victoria Miniatures arms


The paintjob was quick to define (I just copied the colour scheme from the 2015 leader), but hard to replicate as the paints I used for the yellow and the turquoise are no longer available. I've tried to match as best as I can - the yellow is a touch darker, but I think they're passable.




I have to say, painting these figures felt a bit of a chore. I don't really like the poses and the details are indistinct. That said, they were relatively quick to do and I'm glad to have ticked them off the list.

The bull terrier is the 'ratter' from the Citadel townsfolk range.


The bull terrier was actually my favourite of all four of these figures to paint. Very quick, very simple and a lovely little sculpt. The markings are copied from a photo reference and are slightly different from the leader's pet (perhaps the two dogs are related though).

All four Elite gangers.


And with some additional members to make a smallish gang!

Painting these three new gangers means that I *only* have to paint the Confrontation scavvies to complete my Confrontation collection. With just thirteen more models to go, the end of a decades-long project is definitely in sight!


8 comments:

  1. These are indeed some special sculpts but they should die like the others in the waste ;D
    Nice paintjob !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect a poor death in a toxic ash cloud is a likely end to these 😄

      Delete
  2. I see what you mean about them not having a very strong visual identity, but they look good together and not quite as outlandish as some gangs. The Stargrave guns and arms look good - I used some on some Genestealer hybrids and they seem to fit small metal models well. Nice work, and one step closer to painting the whole range!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of outlandish, but I guess there is a space for 'relatively normal-looking'!

      Those Stargrave arms are really handy aren't they?!

      Delete
  3. You may have not enjoyed them as other minis, but they look really great with those arms, and the doggo is so cute! I see what you say about yellow, but I think the new colour works perfectly. Different batches of clothes tend to look different, even within uniforms, so it is safe to say these belong to the gang with no identification issues

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! I feel happier with them after a couple of days to digest. It's nice to have got them painted up - happy to hear you think the yellow is close enough!

      The new dog was my favourite of this batch 😆

      Delete
  4. Great stuff and they look great as a group. Well done.

    ReplyDelete