Thursday 19 October 2023

Technological Limits - The Final Tech

Hot on the heels of the pair of Marauder techs from a few weeks back is the very last tech ganger I needed to paint for a full set. 


Tech gangers sculpted by Mark Copplestone.

There were 15 techs sculpted for Confrontation in total - the Jes Goodwin leader, five Mark Copplestone sculpts, five by Roy Eastland and the four Marauder techs sculpted by Aly Morrison. My tech gang included all of these bar one of the Copplestone sculpts who had been co-opted into an Imperial Guard veteran squad and painted in olive drab! In order to satisfy my completist nature, I acquired a second copy of the figure and painted him up in my tech scheme.


The arms are from Victoria Miniatures.


It's another nice milestone to have got this lad painted up and the techs finished. They're one of my favourite groups of Confrontation figures and make for a pretty imposing gang. In spite of the different sculpting styles, there's enough common design language across the range to mean that they hang together nicely.


The original leader, sculpted by Jes Goodwin. Pretty much perfect!

The 5 Copplestone sculpts along with the Goodwin leader - very similar aesthetically.

The 5 chunky Eastwood sculpts. These guys feel like experienced old hands compared against the skinhead thugs that Copplestone made!

Aly's Marauder techs feel like unhinged experimentalists with their exotic gear.

My full tech gang includes a handful of extra converted figures to cover most gaming eventualities! The highlight of their honours list was 2nd place at the most recent official Necromunda tournament at Warhammer World in April 2018 (I ran them as a legacy Van Saar gang in the days before shock batons and las carbines!).


The Data Kings - Confrontation tech gang



14 comments:

  1. That's a massive achievement here and one to be proud of !
    the gang looks great and the different sculptors work well together thanks to the neat colour scheme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JB! I've had some of these techs in my collection for decades, but they've seen use as peripheral characters (like pirates or bounty hunters). It's nice to have them all painted in the same scheme as a coherent gang.

      Delete
  2. Holy heck what a fantastic collection and congrats on managing to collect them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai! They're brilliant sculpts 🙂

      Delete
  3. A stunning gang of space nerds!

    I enjoyed that whistle stop history of the figures and sculptors. I enjoy the contrast of sculptor styles with the unifying gang colours immensely. The whole collection is really great and finely painted indeed. I have a couple of these models myself and the white colour scheme is very helpful to visualise how I might paint them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I really wish Roy Eastland had sculpted more for Citadel. There's something about his nuggety Confrontation sculpts that really appeals to me. Like you, I think the styles still manage to blend nicely with a unifying colour scheme.

      Delete
  4. The pose on this new addition is outstanding. I really get the feel he's pumping that shotgun. Wonderful gang! Absolutely ready to carve out their own piece of the hive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hobbs! Just a nice combo of arms + body.

      Delete
  5. Wow, the whole gang looks so charming and impressive! The palette is a win, I'm so loving this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how we calibrate ourselves that a 15-strong gang feels 'big', but a 15-strong regiment of pikemen is probably 'average' (and a 15-strong unit of skaven slaves might be 'small'!). Glad you like them Suber 🙂

      Delete
  6. They're a really nice gang and go together very well. They definitely feel "science" with a bit of Clockwork Orange thrown in. I've got two of the Copplestone sculpts and they're amazingly detailed and hold up really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of Clockwork Orange in these. Terrifying! Totally agree about the Copplestone sculpts - they're nice and crisp with a painter-friendly level of detail.

      Delete