Tuesday 3 March 2015

Boys In The Hood & Wasteland Wanderers


After the fast pace of output in January, I took a little break from painting at the end of Feb, partly enforced through the kids' half-term week off.
 
Over the last couple of evenings I did get opportunity to sit down and put paint to a couple more figures. First up is the next Astropath, this one from the Talisman Timescape expansion.
 
 
I must confess, I don't like this figure anywhere near as much as the two Rogue Trader Astropaths - the sculpting is less refined: the robes are blobby and the face lacks definition. As a result (and partly down to the fact I painted him very late in the evening), I'm nowhere near as happy with him as the earlier pair. Nevertheless, he is painted, and looks acceptable alongside his colleagues.

It took forever for the Astropaths to arrange themselves in height order, but eventually it was done!

Next up is another Ash Waste Nomad. My motivation for bumping him (back) up to the top of the paint queue is that I will be starting a Necromunda campaign in just over a week. Although I won't have the full gang painted, I'm hopeful to have 7 of my 9 models ready for week 1.


This particular Nomad is actually a Rogue Trader Titan Moderatus, but to me he oozes Ash Waste Nomad styles - layers of clothing, curved dagger, head-scarf and, of course, the overt respirator. If you don't believe me, check out how similar he looks to the two Marauder Nomads below.

My Moderatus conversion flanked by a pair of disagreeing Marauder Nomads.

The Moderatus was originally designed to be equipped with plastic Imperial Guard arms, but I decided to add a long rifle from an Eldar Scout/Ranger, and a staff from a broken Wood Elf standard bearer. A few tweaks here and there (sculpted left sleeve and a replacement staff top from a plastic chaos sprue) and he was done.

The Nomads are really starting to have the look en masse that I was aiming for - a real sense of bright flashy colours, yet coherently in the same palette of yellow, blue and red.

The painted Nomads so far.

The next three Nomads required for my Necromunda gang are below. The plasma gunner and heavy stubber figures are both converted from more modern Imperial Guard figures, while the pistol weilding Juve is an unmodified Rogue Trader adventurer (perfect as he is!).

Coming next...

16 comments:

  1. The gand looks really cool I must say. I was to use the adventurer for my ash waste nomads too, guess I'll look for something else ;)
    Quite like the new comers, especially the one on the left.
    Great come back !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing to stop you using the same figure JB...after all, mine will be in glaring primary colours, and you might choose something entirely different :)

      Delete
  2. Have to say that's both my favourite astro you done out of the 3 plus the lastest Ash waster is also the best out of the gang too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! We all have different tastes...even when it comes to the microscopic differences between 28mm high robed blind men with canes :)

      Delete
  3. Nice paintwork on the two new figures, although I am really looking forward to seeing that Voystrian sniper conversion painted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vostroyan will hopefully be done soon! :)

      Delete
  4. Great work, Jon! Really liking the Nomads. We should team up against the Hivers at BOYL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good plan Chris! Is there a game going, or shall we instigate one?

      Delete
  5. I can understand your feelings re the Talisman Astropath - that figure does fit in with the Talisman range well though as it has (for me at least) that slight cartoony feel that the talisman figures and artwork had/has. Actually it is one of the things I love about the original version of talisman as it makes it kid friendly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - within the context of the rest of the Talisman range, he's fine :)

      Delete
  6. Great stuff! The nomads look excellent!

    Warburton

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know how you made blue red and yellow work but somehow you do. I live your nomads, long live the outlaw gangs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if is was planned - the first model was mainly blue and red, with a tiny bit of yellow. The rest just got different proportions. Glad you think it all hangs together!

      Delete
  8. The Nomad gang definitely looks as described in the background and the model choices and the painting really bring them to life.

    It may not be as nice an Astropath model as the others, but he probably suffers a little due to the other models charms too. Its a perfectly good model, if defined a little negatively by the concerns of the manufacturing era, its just just not as nice as the other two classics I reckon. The tall model (Korm? Or is Korm the other guy?) is a definitive RT model.

    Great work all round.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tall astropath is Yerl, Cheetor! Korm is the short one ;) I guess I've been unkind to our Talisman friend!

    It was always my ambition to avoid the neutral tan / grey scheme that the Ash Waste Nomads have been associated with; even in the latest Living Rulebook background, the Ash Wastes are described as having an "abundance and variety of colours and textures, sulpher yellow, cobalt blue, mauve, citric green..." :)

    ReplyDelete