Friday 24 May 2024

Inq et nunc - 54mm Servitor Mono-152

Inquisitor (published by Games Workshop in 2001) is a fiendishly complex table-top RPG, with figures that at 54mm scale do not fit with anything else in my collection. Not many people play it. Having enough terrain is a constant issue. Games Workshop's figures are long out of print, and there is a real dearth of suitably-sized and styled sci-fi miniatures from other manufacturers. There is absolutely no justification that warrants spending time to make and paint anything for Inquisitor. Except that maybe, just maybe, I want to because I fancy doing it.


In terms of my Inquisitor gaming history, I was totally enthused when the game was published and built and painted a hooded, powerfist wielding Inquisitor (I sadly no longer have him). Some time after that, I made a small group of 54mm Eldar (I still have them; chipped & missing bits). Then I left Inquisitor alone for at least 15 years, possibly as long as 20 years. But after chatting with buddies Asslessman and Antipixi, it seemed that we all had a bit of an Inquisitor itch to scratch. I'm not sure how far I'll get with this project - I'm currently working on about half a dozen figures. I might make and paint 1, or 3 or even more depending on how enthused I end up!


Mono-152 goes on a pre-progammed rampage

Asslessman's first figure is a sleek and characterful Inquisitor. Antipixi did some stellar work on a 54mm-scale ogryn. For some reason, I just really wanted to get a servitor done first!


Mono-152 is conceived as an every-day industrial servitor. The kind that has been built unload cargo at a space dock, or perhaps to move materials on a construction site. He's functional, sturdy and pretty basic! He'll also be a useful henchman for a variety of characters as required.


My starting point for Mono-152 was the classic plastic Heroquest minotaur. As unlikely as this seems, the figure was roughly the right scale and had some key features I wanted to utilise (largely naked body and bare feet).


Base model - Heroquest minotaur.

Early mock-up (head and arms removed).

After much surgery and carving away of excess material.


At this stage, I was starting to think that the conversion might work. I'd spent a long time carefully removing excess plastic from the legs and torso of the minotaur, as well as repositioning the torso to give a bit more height. The big fist was sourced from a Space Marine dreadnought kit, the chest armour from a Astra Militarum ogryn and the metal claw from a classic 40 servitor. The head is the only actual Inquisitor piece on the model - one of the variant Rogue Trader heads.

From this point onwards it was all about gap filling and layering in details.

The cabling is a mix of soldering wire, greenstuff cables and some pre-made modelling ones.

The little servo arm is my favourite element - a concept I borrowed from one of the servitors from the limited edition Skulls Adeptus Mechanicus set.

As the fist had an in-built flamer, I decided he needed some fuel tanks for it.



All in all, I'm very happy with how the build came together. He's a little squatter and stockier than some of the Inquisitor figures, but I think he's acceptably within tolerance!


I wanted to reflect the neutral industrial feel in the paint scheme, so went for yellow on most of the hard metal areas.



I painted most of the yellow with a sponge and some light drybrushing, which has given a lovely battered feel. Check out the filthy feet and unhealthy bruised skin.



Looking forward to working on some more figures in this scale!

11 comments:

  1. It's smart, entirely on topic and original, the extra details really show the advantage of that scale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Really enjoyed throwing details at it.

      Delete
  2. wow! given the starting point model, the final result is amazing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaeckel! I really did just need those bare feet I guess 😄

      Delete
  3. Excellent conversion work, he looks the part.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, you took this to another level. When I just saw the first pic, I was struggling to remember the model, until I saw it's totally scratchbuilt. Wow, anything I could say is just so pointless, you are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! It's great that you were trying to remember the original model - hopefully that means that I executed the conversion pretty well 😁

      Delete
  5. Gosh, this takes me back a bit. I always liked the weirdness of Inquisitor, but it looked really hard to play. There's something very cool about chunky bionic zombie types. Anyhow, you've done a really good job. The conversion feels spot on and I like the sickly flesh colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are easier games to play for sure. Not even sure if I'll use the original rules myself!! Glad you like this guy 🙂

      Delete
  6. Fantastic works!

    ReplyDelete