Friday 8 December 2023

Beware the Pack - Confrontation Dogskins

Another group of 4 Confrontation models, which technically just leaves scavvies and the Elite gang to go. Of course, 4 figures isn't a gang, so before I get round to anything else, I need to paint up more figures for THIS gang. And which gang is it? The feral proto-ratskin gang that are generally referred to as Dogskins.



As with all of the 'hive' ganger sets, the Dogskins comprise of a single-piece metal leader and 3 armless gangers designed to be completed with either the plastic bare arms or the plastic Imperial Guard arms. I mixed it up a little by adding in some modern Necromunda arms which seemed to fit the vibe.




I can't remember the exact arms, but I think they were Orlock Wrecker and Cawdor arms (#1 & #2). #3 got classic period Confrontation arms and lasgun. The only modification was around the arm joins to make it look a little more integrated.


All of the figures got the same colour scheme. I painted the tattered waistcoats and rags as some kind of (dog?) leather. All the pelts are black (I figure they hunt down black dogs as part of their initiation). I added the dark red pouches and details to try and lift the colour scheme away from historical. The final touch was the warpaint, which aligns with the illustration by Martin McKenna.

Games Workshop artwork by Martin McKenna






Looking forward to adding more bodies to the gang. I also need to think up a gang name (Black Dogs seems a bit obvious!).


Hive gangers fight for control of a vital piece of wasteland. 





12 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE the more Madmax approach you gave them, really suits the underhive more than natives with guns imho. They actually look mean like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JB! The sculpts are definitely leaning towards a native vibe. If I had any criticism of the sculpts, it would be that they could use a few more clearly scifi elements. Really glad you think the paintjob helps in that regard.

      Delete
  2. How about 'The Gwyllgi'? It's an ethereal black dog from Welsh mythology, said to be an omen of death and misfortune (I use it to describe my poor mental health). It's said that The Gwyllgi may even be the head hound of the Cwn Annwfn, the hell hounds that chase and catch ahead of the Wild Hunt.

    Loving the resurrection of these classic miniatures! Although I never understood why 'dogskins', when it seems too Fenrisian (more the purview of feral/medieval worlds).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions! I think these pre-date the full-on Fenrisian vibe, so probably they were just a design that gave a gutter gang feel!!

      Delete
  3. Great little gang! And for my money, four models is a perfectly fine gang. (But I sing the praises of Pulp Alley, where a four member gang would be small, but entirely achievable, and even potentially reasonably balanced with other, larger gangs.) Anyway, rules questions aside, I love what you've done here. I really need to find more of those old Confrontation miniatures. They're truly glorious. A lot of genuine Necroumnda miniatures already have the beginning of the "scale creep" that plagues Citadel to this day. The little bit of Confrontation stuff I have seems to fit a little better with my somewhat older collection. I am thoroughly jealous! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Pulp Alley - I must give it a go! I tend to build most stuff with Stargrave in mind these days, so I'm looking at a 10-strong dogskin gang 🙂

      I totally agree about the scale of the Confrontation figures - they're perfect alongside other late 1980s/early 1990s figures.

      Delete
    2. You know, I need to give Stargrave a try. Pulp Alley is quick and cheerful. It's got some interesting features and it's pretty flexible about how you structure your gang. I love the way initiative works. The player with initiative simply decides who goes next. And you get it for game reasons, like clearly wining a fight or achieving a game goal, and keep it until your opponent does the same. And attacking an enemy is virtually never without risk. They always get to respond one way or another, usually by shooting back. It plays like a good action movie or television show. As to Stargrave . . . did I hear it has a way to play it solo? That's intriguing all by itself. :)

      Delete
    3. Games that give a movie vibe are always great! Stargrave is also nice and simple and shares core mechanics with Frostgrave and Ghost Archipelago (so if you learn one game, you learn all 3!). You're right, there is a solo gaming option (the Hope Eternal book). I haven't given it a go, but the logic engine is the same as the one that drives random encounters in the full game, so hopefully it's nice and intuitive.

      Delete
  4. Wow, they have tons of personality. That's quite something to achieve, and it's due to both the composition of each mini and the paintjob. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! Some of the figures had 3 or 4 attempts at finding arms which looked right - I'm glad there were some skinny bare arms in the Necromunda kits!!

      Delete