Thursday 15 June 2023

Clan Masters - Bespoke Helmar Leaders

Generally I'm 'not bad' at completing miniatures projects - I manage to paint up game-ready gangs and skirmish forces in a timely manner. However, I am also regularly guilty of over-ambition. I might make a gang of 10 figures, but acquire the material to make 10 more which sit unfinished long after I've completed a campaign with the first 10. This pair of figures is a pretty extreme example - when I was originally planning my Helmawr gang at the end of 2019, I decided I wanted some unique character figures. So I commissioned John Pickford to sculpt me a leader and a champion. He created me a pair of wonderful characters  in early 2020. And I only got round to painting them a few weeks ago. Better late than never I guess?!



The 2 figures were sculpted based on a pair of dodgy sketches I drew. They're no masterpieces, but happily they gave enough steer for John to work his magic and turn them into fantastic miniatures.


I wanted a female character in the gang. She was conceived as a gang champion (in Necromunda terms) with a long rifle or long las.

This character was intended to be a high-ranking member of the Helmawr clan. I wanted a well-fed character in expensive clothing and exotic weaponry!
 

John did a fabulous job with the sculpts, shown below against a scale reference figure (Confrontation Bounty Hunter).

The meltagun is an unreleased Rogue Trader dolly (used as a personal project only).

There were some minor alterations on the sniper rifle from this point which you can see on the painted figure (slight repositioning and tweaking of the barrel).

I painted the figures to match their Helmawr compatriots, loving the silly details like the bouffant hair and frilly boots:




An intimidating group of high-ranking Helmawr!

I'm not quite done with the Helmawr yet - there's a few special and heavy weapons figures I'd like to add before I draw a line under the project. But for now, I'm thrilled to have added this really brilliant pair of unique figures to the gang.



8 comments:

  1. An amazing pair of figures. Love seeing the whole process, from your sketches (which are great, don't sell yourself short!), to the greens, and finally the painting. Really happy to see this gang expand to a playable size!! They would surely stand out in any game as the wealthy gang to beat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hobbs! I guess the sketches do the job. I really love the process of taking a concept to a finished figure. It's a lot of fun to imagine something and enable it to become reality. The gang is definitely playable now - any additions are about giving me options 🙂

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is so absolutely awesome! The fact of producing a mini just out of your imagination (even when you have an inspiration or a clear aesthetics as reference) and turning it into something real is just so motivating. I love the whole process and of course the results, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! I guess it's an indulgence really, but it's also a lot of fun!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic. Really great. I would love to commission some unique figures like this one day. I guess it's definitely possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kym! Commissioning figures is definitely possible - you just need an idea and a sculptor to realise it 🙂

      Delete
  4. This whole team looks amazing. Family Helmwar is such a fun faction and this lot are a perfect representation for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai! Helmawr feel unloved, even though they're so prominent in Necromundan lore. It's nice to rectify that just a little 🙂

      Delete