Tuesday 30 May 2023

Eternal Champions - Elric, Moonglum & Jagreen Lern

It had been some time since I last thought about painting up any figures for my Citadel Eternal Champion collection. However when the 28 Mag team asked if I was interested in writing an article about gaming in the multiverse, I thought it was a great opportunity to add some new figures and characters. As the photos of newly painted figures in the article are just illustrative, I thought it would be good to give the figures a little more airtime here on the blog!



Elric was a glaring omission from my painted Eternal Champion figures, so I quickly rectified that, painting his Eternal Moonglum at the same time.



I decided to use a colour palette for Elric inspired by the classic 1977 Stormbringer cover by Michael Whelan. I need to find a stormy green sky for him to stand in front of for the full effect!



Elric decided to forgo his yellow jerkin in favour of the matching leggings.


For Moonglum I selected largely earthier tones and gave him his distinctive red hair. The blue jerkin was an attempt to tie the pair together a little.





Of course every Eternal Champion needs a big, bad villain to face off against. Although I'd painted up a few Pan Tangians in the past, I hadn't got round to painting Jagreen Lern, Theocrat of Pan Tang. Citadel's version of Jagreen Lern might lack the presence that you might expect given his status as an arch-sorceror of chaos who brings about the end of the world. But he does at least wear his distinctive burning armour that glows red-hot. At least, that's how I chose to paint it (well, orange at least!).



The leaders of Pan Tang.



I really enjoyed diving back into Moorcock's creations. It's actually been over a year since I painted up the figures for the article, so it's probably about time I did it again! In the meantime, you can check out the article at the link below:


'Lifting the lid on the Multiverse' is available for download in 28 Mag, volume 5


12 comments:

  1. Love how colorful these figures are. A great connection to those old covers. Great job on the article too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Hobbs! Maybe fantasy figures push me to go brighter?! 😁

      Delete
  2. Beautiful and charming indeed, I love them. Thanks for the link, I had missed this issue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! It's a range I wish GW had supported for longer. I'd love to have seen some of the other Eternal Champions explored in more detail. Glad to share the link!

      Delete
  3. Stellar work on these - Elric especially, the contrast of the albino skin with the dark armor and jerkin, and then BAM the leggings is a great look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill! Elric is tricky to paint with that albino skin. Glad you think it came out OK!

      Delete
  4. Great work on these and I enjoyed the Article in 28Mag too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kym! Glad you enjoyed the article.

      Delete
  5. Kudos on the article. Nice work on the minis too obviously :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elric and Moonglum were some of my fav fantasy heroes from my childhood and I read all of Moorcock's books novels about them. Really love these versions you've done sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came to Moorcock much later, but I was instantly hooked the first time I read them. Cheers Dai!

      Delete