Wednesday 5 April 2023

Stargrave Q-Bots (AKA Skullz Servitors)

Everybody knows that robot characters are cool, and that if you have opportunity, you should include them in a starship crew. I wasn't quite sure how best to include some robots in my Cold Trader Stargrave crew, as nothing really seemed to fit the bill stylistically. I happened on the Q-Bot soldier type from the Quarantine 37 supplement and decided that 40k servitors would be a fun way to represent them. I dug out a couple of the early 2000s servitors, but it was nagging me that they didn't have any detail that could be easily passed off as the one-shot flamer or grenade launcher. And then I remembered my Skullz servitors...



This pair of chunky servitors was produced as part of the limited edition Adeptus Mechanicus set available through the Skullz reward programme. I've never owned the complete set sadly, although through various contacts I managed to acquire one of the tech priests, the big blocky servitor and the little child companion (who will one day be a ratling tech priest!). The servitor with the curved head array and plasma pistol was from ebay. More on that later.


The full set, image from Stuff of Legends




I painted both figures at the same time. The square bodied servitor with his ridiculous big fist was a delight. Crisp, clean details, perfectly cast. The other servitor was a nightmare. I'd had it in a box for a couple of years, but as soon as I started painting, it was apparent that it was a recast. Soft, indistinct details and a mush of blobby metal under the right arm. I persevered, and the results are not too bad, but I hope one day to paint a nice copy of the figure.


I'm happy with the end results, especially Mr Big Hand (I love how his servo fist is essentially a scaled down version of the 2nd edition Space Marine Dreadnought power fist). I'm looking forward to getting these on the table with the rest of the crew next week!

8 comments:

  1. Lovely classics that yes, will fit just fine with your Stargrave lads. Good choices and good paintjobs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai! Funny to think of these as classics, but I guess they're nearly 30 years old now.

      Delete
  2. They're both really good, and I'd never have known that guy was a recast. Interesting how different they look to all the other servitor models I've seen, even old ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toby. I've often wondered about the stylistic difference - they feel very much like physical representations of Blanche sketches to me.

      Delete
  3. Ohhh, I remember these. It's true that they look different form other servitor models; in fact the recast guy could act as an explorer or some other roles. But anyway, they look super cool. The palette is also daring, quite far from any usual Mechanicus colours, and I love how everything looks in here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the colours - I think that alters the faction more than anything else. You're right - they would be great in an exploration faction.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes old school is the way to go :) Nice work as always axiom!

    ReplyDelete