Thursday 16 June 2022

Gort Pack Beast

Every nomadic merchant needs some kind of large pack beast to carry all of his goods. I've been wanting to add one to my collection for a while, but hadn't hit on the right model. Luckily the trading pages over at the Lead Adventure forum provided, and I was able to pick up a lovely chunky beast.



The creature in question is the OOP gort from the Alpha Forge Mephalian range. It's a great hunk of metal that originally was supplied with some handlers.


Pic from Lost Minis Wiki


I'm not sure how many parts the gort came in as the one I picked up was already assembled and nicely painted with blue skin and bone-coloured scales. I had originally intended just to overpaint the blue skin and rebase to fit with the rest of my collection, but I ended up repainting the whole figure.






All in all, a nice addition to the collection, and it will look very nice in those Star Wars-esque market square scenic photos!


18 comments:

  1. Pack beasts are essential I reckon, they give both that feeling of weird reality to any setting and a sense of "life goes on" like unarmed NPC's.
    Love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JB! I agree with everything you've said. I'd love more 🙂

      Delete
  2. Great model. Love the coloring you chose for it. The purples in particular really give it some life beyond the base coloring. Now I want to get back to the pack beast I had planned some time ago...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hobbs. I'm trying to introduce more colour variation like that across large skin areas. It might not be apparent in the pics, but there's also a yellowy glaze on the underside around the limb joints and belly area. It's pretty quick but adds some nice areas of interest!

      Delete
    2. There absolutely is! That looks fantastic. I was way too focused on the purple bits.

      Delete
  3. Excellent! That has real presence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's definitely a big stubborn lump!

      Delete
  4. Great mini. This beast is very cool. Top painting job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ajax! Glad you like it 😊

      Delete
  5. I like "civilian" monsters as well as civilian characters! I think the painting really brings out the saggy skin and the variety of gear it's carrying. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toby! The skin texture was a delight to paint - I like nothing better than using washes and drybrushing and having the detail pop out.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love it! I didn't know this mini and I find it fabulous. Your paintjob makes it stand out, I reckon it's a total must!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! Really glad you like the paintjob. I was glad I went for the dark blue-grey scales in the end - a nice contrast I think.

      Delete
  7. Outstanding work. I need to figure out a pack beast or two for my post-apocalyptic and scifi games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill! The gort would be ideal if you can track one or two down. Failing that, the Wasteman mootants are good options.

      Delete
  8. Yes the Gort, one of those figs that i wished I picked up when that range was still around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I regularly have that feeling over OOP ranges. I wish I could predict what I might want / need in a few year's time!

      Delete