Thursday 9 June 2022

Boring Rocks? Some New Scenery

I picked up a couple of pieces of area terrain from eBay recently. They're pretty basic - vaguely oval resin bases with a few rocks and some ground texture. The sort of thing I think I should be able to make in an afternoon with a few bits of MDF and some sand. Except I've not really been able to do it convincingly or robustly.


The two outcrop bases cost me less than £14 (eBay seller: dands-gaming) and took less than an hour to paint. I simply sprayed them with a stone colour over the undercoat, daubed some yellows and greys onto the rocks and added some washes on the ground. Everything was given a bone drybrush and then I added some tufts.



They're nice functional terrain pieces to put on a gaming table, but when I put some of my fishtank rocks behind them and set up a few scenic shots, they really did come to life!




I think I can definitely find room for more of these in my collection!

8 comments:

  1. Funny, I keep collecting random junk to make terrain... yet find myself more drawn to purchasing stuff as well. Those are some nice simple pieces. Love the colors you put into them. Definitely make for some great miniature backdrops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's working out the opportunity cosy for me! If I will enjoy making something and will execute it well, then I'll do it. If it's unglamorous and I'm likely to return a rubbish output, then I'm probably better off paying for something!

      Delete
  2. It looks so natural! These pieces tend to be underrated, but I think they add something to any board. I'm happy to see how you made it look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! I agree - terrain like this is so important in setting the right vibe, but there's so often more eye-catching stuff to work on. Worth the effort though.

      Delete
  3. There is no such thing as boring rocks for us painters ... nice work on the terrain :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe they're simple, but they definitely look convincing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toby! I've ordered a few more from the same seller as I like the results on these so much.

      Delete