Tuesday 18 January 2022

Sheds, Outhouses and Shacks

Before Christmas I asked Graham at Grimsforge to work on another couple of projects for me to round out the variety of buildings in my fringe-world setting. Along with some bigger pieces (more on those at a future date), I wanted a selection of smaller sheds and shacks that I could use as scatter or butt up against a larger structure to change its footprint.


Grouped together the sheds make a nice little homestead.

There are three different sheds, beautifully realised by Graham from my sketches:



As with the previous Grimsforge buildings, these are sturdily build on a hardboard base with a polystyrene core and card detailing.




I kept the painting fairly basic - the same standard grey I've used on most of the other buildings, plus plenty of grime and dust!


The three sheds can also be butted up together to make a single row.


This shed features a floor hatch - access to an underground store or mine workings?

Is it a standard lock-up, or perhaps there are stairs descending.

A tiny single-roomed shack.

After playing around with the sheds, I realised that some of them also work nicely as rooftop structures on some of the larger buildings. Really looking forward to getting them onto a table some time soon.




20 comments:

  1. Great little shacks: they look super versatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could do almost anything with them apart from stacking!!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic stuff as always, Axiom. You and Graham get some buildings done! I would love to see everything together one of these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Don't worry, I'm planning to get everything out on a table and take some nice shots after I finish the next couple of buildings 🙂

      Delete
  3. Simple and very nice additions. The addition of buildings of different heights just make your little settlement even more believable and interesting to look at in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai! I'm building up a nice selection - mainly single storey, but some with two storeys as well.

      Delete
  4. Grimsforge buildings are amazing, and your paintaing really makes them shine ! Great work from both of you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't speak highly enough about the Grimsforge buildings. Really wonderful work! Glad you like the paintjobs too!

      Delete
  5. Simple and effective. I like that they can be used in several configurations. The floor hatch is a nice touch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm q big fan of terrain that can be used in multiple ways too! I think these would be great spawn points for a plague zombie horde or similar too!

      Delete
  6. Three great additions for sure! Great concepts, great builds, great paint jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find these quite versatile and appealing, lovely project. I'm in need of a battle report of some kind to see them all on the field!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! I'm desperate to find that gaming opportunity too 🙂

      Delete
  8. The end results speak for itself. Great paint jobs too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how Techpriest Zon's stiff pose gives your blogpost an air of awkward holiday photos. "Here I am in front of this cute little shed I found, and here I am in front of another cute shed, they had a real thing for cute sheds..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "In the grim darkness of the 41st millennium, there are only sheds..."?

      😁

      Delete