Thursday 23 December 2021

The Crew's All Aboard Cap'n - Final Squat Pirates

I'm bookending my hobby output quite nicely by finishing off the year with the last 3 squat pirates from the crew that I started in January. I'm really pleased to have got this iconic set of 10 squat pirate sculpts painted with a couple of additions (a squat adventurer, the dwarf pirate and of course the big ugly ogryn). I do have some transport planned for the crew, but for now they'll just have to put their boots on the ground!



The last 3 additions are a nice selection. There's a Time Bandit-esque squat in retro pilot gear, a classicly styled crewman with headscarf and eye-patch, and the frankly maxed out fella with the braided beard, hook and horned hat.

The pilot's arms come from an Old School Miniatures space dwarf, whilst the flamer is built from Uscarl parts.

The hook-handed squat got a North Star pistol, with most of the arm sculpted over a piece of bent wire.


In terms of painting, I went for more variations on the predominantly purple and green theme.



I wish I'd stripped off the old undercoat on this guy as the beard seemed to lack definition. I ended up trying to paint on the texture.


It doesn't really show up too well, but he's sporting a gold tooth second from left!


This guy went from being my least favourite squat pirate (too boring), to one of my favourites. I'm pretty happy with how the goggle lenses turned out.


All in all this has been a thoroughly enjoyable extended project on a pretty obscure set of figures. I'm really pleased to have painted them all up and ready to use.


I told you that Gydran vehicle would be a good scale for squats!




17 comments:

  1. It's a really nice group. Really good sculpting on the arm, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toby, glad you like them 😊

      Delete
  2. They are great ! Thanks for this awesome 2021 "feuilleton", each post was a real pleasure to read (like everything on your blog ;) ) !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool band of pirate squats, a fierce looking bunch of scurvy freebooters to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I confess when I started out I was worried that they might end up either too uniform, or too incoherent as a group.

      Delete
  4. You turned every mini into a character, and that's quite a thing! They all are tasty and you did an outstanding work. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! Each sculpt is literally dripping with character - they're such great figures!

      Delete
  5. Absolutely love this crew! Such great character among them. Now I think my new favorite is guy with the horns and the hook. I do really like what you did with the lenses. I need more practice doing them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hobbs! Squats plus pirates is pretty much an unbeatable combination I think 😉

      The horn/hook/hat guy ticks an awful lot of points on the pirate swagger list too!!

      Delete
  6. Arrr, this be pirate goodness I tell ya ... sorry I couldn't resist :)
    Have a great 2022!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never apologise for using a pirate voice 😉

      Delete
  7. Purple and green is always a good look :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super good new additions! What a fun project and as I’ve mentioned before, my fav of your projects cos quite frankly - Squats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai! You can't beat squats can you?!

      Delete
  9. Great stuff. Just building a few old school armies and these posts are a real inspiration.

    ReplyDelete