Monday 30 March 2020

Strontium Dogs - Durham Red

Aside from Johnny Alpha, one of the most iconic Strontium Dog character is Durham Red - the vampiric Search/Destroy agent.




Finding a suitably-scaled Durham Red to sit nicely alongside the Citadel figures I've locked myself into using is no easy task. And I've spent a lot of time trying to work out the best approach over the last couple of months!

Warlord's current offering is too tall and true-scale.


Foundry's OOP version is nearer 35mm and I'm not keen on the kneeling pose.


I had high hopes for the version of Durham Red from Osprey's Judge Dredd: Helter Skelter miniatures board game, but unlike Middenface McNulty, Osprey's Durham Red was too tall and had bizarrely long legs. So I started to concept out some extensive conversions using old Citadel models:


Based on Leela from the Citadel Doctor Who Range.

Based on 'She' from the Citadel Gothic Horror range.


These had potential, but would involve a huge amount of work. Which brought me back to the Osprey figure. The key problem I had with the figure related to the over-long bandy legs. Sorting those out would allow the me to overlook the tiny hands and short arms.


Option 1: cut down the legs.


Option 2: new legs.
Although Option 2 required the dissection of a classic miniature, I decided it would result in a better pose and more pleasing result.

Durham Red with brand new legs that could stop a pig in an alleyway.


Better scaled against Johnny and Middenface.

Phew... after all that it was a relief to find time to get Durham Red painted! I went for a fairly traditional paint scheme with the yellow and purple outfit happily clashing with her red hair.


I tried a paler skin tone that usual, which allowed the eye shadow and red lips to pop a little more.



The model does retain the over-exaggerated and probably rather uncomfortable 'sticking out bum' pose.


All in all, I'm very pleased with the results - probably the best compromise from the options available. And happily, she doesn't make Johnny look too short!


With Durham Red done, I think that will be the last of my Strontium Dog figures for the immediate future, although I do plan to revisit the setting with the Stix Brothers and some local security types at some future point.

19 comments:

  1. Interesting process. I think you made the right choice, yours looks the best by far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! This was a long and drawn out process of deliberation, as a result of a bit of indecision! I think the final result is probably the best outcome though :)

      Delete
  2. That's a novel solution to her "also fits on a Bullock Jetcycle" pose. It's really lovely painting, and interesting to see you following an established colour scheme rather than the traditional axiomatic pallettes.

    I tried converting a Durham Red out of the Citadel Suzi Spitgun torso and a Gothic Horror vampire head, but it stalled as apart from being in scale and female, she looked nothing like Durham Red.

    I do like your reworking of the Gothic Horror She.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly would have liked to do the full Gothic Horror transition to get a properly period figure, but it was a huge amount of work. The option I went with seemed to be the best balance of input to output.

      I have to say, I've enjoyed using colours I wouldn't usually have considered. I don't use a lot of green or purple really. I really like the magenta from Durham Red's top, even if I had the mix by eye!

      Is it worth persevering with your Durham Red conversion? It's hard when a project just isn't doing what you hope it would.

      Delete
    2. I might just start again with Durham. I like Gretchin's idea below of using a Witch Elf with their ridiculous boots as the starting point.

      Delete
    3. Looking forward to seeing what happens if you manage to summon up enthusiasm for it!

      Delete
  3. I was wondering what you were going to use for Durham Red. Personally I'd have placed bets that you'd have explored the 1st Gen Marauder Witch Elves range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Witch elves never even crossed my mind! I'd better not look, just in case there was a good option there!!

      Delete
    2. I think this is the one I had in mind...

      http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/images/3/38/MM73-WE02.jpg

      Delete
    3. Definitely a potential basis for Durham Red, but I think I'm happy with what I went with :)

      Delete
  4. I really appreciate your showing the cut and paste/green stuff phases of your work rather than make us guess where everything came from in a finalized painted project, which would have been even harder here using way OOP figures with non-Citadel ones!

    That is a great correction to the original legs btw, hugely improving the pose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've probably said it before, but I love seeing unpainted conversions by other people too. I find it really helpful to understand how, what (and sometimes why) people convert the way they do. The only time I wouldn't share pics, would be if I forgot to take them!

      Glad you approve of the leg replacement surgery!

      Delete
  5. The original minis proportions were a fair way off weren't they. I was trying to figure out why you didn't just go with option 1, but then I noticed the stance.

    I'm really in awe of your GS skills. I struggle to get a smooth blend between surfaces.

    Great job Jon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really didn't like the original proportions, or the bandy-legged option 1!

      There are two things I use to get smooth blends - the first is never to have a sharp edge to blend onto - filing it to a rounded shape really helps. Secondly, I use firm clay shapers rather than metal tools for the blended areas.

      Cheers Shane!

      Delete
  6. I was going to state the obvious, the work itself is stunning, both sculpting and painting wise. But I want to emphasize how great is to follow your train of thought on this one. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really pleased you like the figure Suber! I always find people's hobby processes fascinating, so I'm more than happy to share mine!

      Delete
  7. Your version looks fantastic in concept and execution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! Pretty happy with how she came out.

      Delete