Tuesday 27 November 2018

Scaling Up Spacefarers - 28mm Star Lane Space Pirate Girl

In my view, Citadel's Spacefarers range was one of the best selections of science fiction adventuring types that any company has produced. It included over 50 different figures including merchants, troopers, droids and space pirates. They had great poses and interesting gear. But they are useless for my games which are firmly set in 28mm Rogue Trader scale, because for all their charm, Spacefarers are teeny 25mm figures.

Spacefarers page from the 1981 Citadel catalogue (image from Stuff of Legends)

I've already had one attempt at upscaling the Interplanetary Merchant with a figure I sculpted from scratch. I wanted to try my hand at converting one of my other favourite figures from the range - the S17 'Star Lane Space Pirate Girl with Laser Pistol'.

Star Lane Space Pirate Girl painted by Greblord. More images over at: http://greblord-littlemen.blogspot.com/2016/03/citadel-25mm-spacefarers-s17-star-lane.html

Star Lane Space Pirate Girl painted by Greblord. More images over at: http://greblord-littlemen.blogspot.com/2016/03/citadel-25mm-spacefarers-s17-star-lane.html




The images of the Star Lane Space Pirate Girl above are from Greblord's fantastic Little Men blog. Sadly Peter Armstrong aka Greblord passed away last year, so I have borrowed a couple of images without permission. I would urge you to check out Little Men - it is a fantastic repository information and pictures of a vast number of old school miniatures.

I wanted to evoke the Star Lane Pirate Girl as closely as possible, so started with Rhora, the F3 Barbarian (and later Norse) who is clearly sculpted after Raquel Welch from the film One Million Years B.C.


The lack of clothing was in my favour here - I could easily adapt the figure by sculpting clothes over the top (not that the Pirate Girl has too many in the first place).


I decided to keep Rhona's pose as I wasn't really bothered about an exact match with the Pirate Girl. There was quite a lot of sculpting - boots, jacket, more modest shorts and various elements to match the Spacefarers figure. I added a suitable pistol from my bits box and was happily able to pick up the hat from the Necromunda Bounty Hunter Eyros Slagmyst. Whilst not quite as domed as the Spacefarers hat, it's close enough.


I decided to paint up Rhona (I may as well borrow her barbarian name!) in homage to Greblord's paintjob of the original Spacefarers figure. I'm pretty pleased with how the khaki and off-white work together. I suspect I would have been tempted to add in more colours, but I really like the simplicity of the scheme.

I did paint her eyes, honest!




I think the resulting figure has enough of the right vibe about her to evoke the original sculpt, whilst at the same time increasing the level of detail and sculpting quality that a late 1980s 28mm figure has compared against an early 1980s 25mm one.

The Star Lane Space Pirates enter town!

18 comments:

  1. This is so lovably niche! I really like that you've revisited a concept from your blog a couple of years ago. Your putty work is really tight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is about as niche as you can go with Citadel's science fiction ranges. Or perhaps I could do a 28mm scale of one of the Star Cruisers spaceships?! Glad you like her Curis!

      Delete
  2. Very good work on the re-interpretation and the sculpting. Easily 10 times better than the original.

    The colors are a bit bland, but that is ok, not everyone has to be running around in red period primary colors. (except guns that have casings should always be red)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original suffers from being smaller and eons earlier (in sculpting terms). The revolution in sculpt quality between 1981 and 1986 is phenomenal really.

      I'm quite happy with a low-key colour scheme on her too :)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful work, both the sculpting and the paint job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice rendition of the original figure. Great paintjob and conversion work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon! It was fun to modernise the character by a few years!

      Delete
  5. Exquisite! While I liked the "cheeky" original, the more sensible short shorts (if that can be a thing) look right on the model. The hat is a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sean! I think the original outfit was a bit too risque.

      Delete
  6. What a great (and fun) conversion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David! I'd love to remake more of the range - they're so full of character.

      Delete
  7. I missed this update! I had that mini, so I can value the conversion work, and it's pretty impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! She was pretty much a blank canvas before I started adding the green stuff!

      Delete
  8. She looks Amazing, Axiom! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great conversion work. It never occurred to me that a 25mm to 28mm conversion work is possible with a few additions. Then again I'm useless as a sculptor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started with small additions and gap filling and have gradually done more and more sculpted elements. It's just repetition and practice really!

      Delete