Tuesday 13 November 2018

Face to Face with the Cult


One thing lacking from the Benevolent Brothers was any form of close-quarters fighters. I decided to rectify that with three new additions - Maddox, Snyke and Frenk.


All three are armed exclusively with melee weapons and pistols to take things up close and personal! I am still working out whether Maddox (the lady with the big chainsword) will be a champion with a chainglaive or a ganger with a chainsword. I'm settled on Snyke with his hand flamer and Frenk though.




Maddox and Frenk are both heavily converted with components from other models. I've previously shown how I often plan out conversions by splicing catalogue images together, and these two were no different:

Catalogue images and Paint help to visualise what figures will look like.

Maddox is spliced together from the lower half of a Necromunda Escher heavy and the upper torso of a female chaos thug, kindly donated to the cause by cheetor over at sho3box. She's very much inspired by the excellent conversion of Myrleia by Alex over at Leadballoony, based on the same chaos thug.


I swapped out the thug's sword with a chainsword from the same Rogue Trader space marine that donated the head to Max Data v2.0 (never through anything away!). I'm really pleased with the way that the weight seems to be pretty natural and she's leaning into the swing of her big nasty weapon.


I painted her up in the cult colours I've been using to date, minimising any bright colours to her sash.



Snyke was an even more involved conversion, using the upper torso from a Confrontation scavvy (the lower torso was used on a Genestealer hybrid that I still haven't got round to painting yet!). His legs came from a Confrontation bounty hunter, his axe and right arm from a WHFB Empire Fighter and his left arm from the bandit from the Rogue Trader adventurers range (kindly donated by Asslessman of Leadplague).


After assembling all the components I covered the joins with greenstuff, sculpting details like the lower portion of his padded jacket and some pouches around the waist.


I decided to give Snyke a natty pink shawl/scarf thing. I think now he's painted it all gels pretty nicely!



The final member of the trio is Frenk. He's an almost completely unmodified chaos thug complete with silly hat, knock knees and worrying spikey spine.


The only alteration I made was to add a holstered pistol (once again delving into the RTB01 bits).


Still to come are another couple of champions in anticipation of earning enough income to recruit them!

16 comments:

  1. With conversions like these, I'm always torn between the retro thrill of minis from ranges like Confrontation that I've regretted not getting my hands on for years and the originality of the ways in which they're being reused and reinvented to be relevant in an entirely novel manner.

    Also, I think we can both agree that it's a very agreeable thing to be able to convert a fantasy mini by basically simply adding a pistol to their belt!

    As usual, these are great work and it's very useful to see the work-in-progress shots as well as the finished article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dropping a pistol on a belt is very satisfying, no doubt! Glad you like these (even if it is with a faint note of regret about old figures being dismembered!).

      Delete
  2. Fantastic! This both thrills and terrifies me. I need to start exploring more conversion opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love converting figures, right from the early days with my awful creations made with milliput and misuse of nail scissors! Whilst I still like painting unmodified figures, you can't beat painting a unique creation!

      Delete
  3. I'm speechless. What a magnificent lesson of kitbashing and conversion (again!). Hats off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! I'll keep making them :)

      Delete
    2. What the master of conversion (Suber) said "..." (get it, get it?)
      Speechless :)

      Delete
  4. Makes me cringe to see such classic sculpts butchered so, but damn mate, per usual the finished minis look amazing.

    Getting an amazon vibe from Maddox and her single breast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their sacrifice is all for a good outcome! Yeah, Maddox really does have that amazonian vibe :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely work on this trio. I've got a softspot for the Frenk model, as I've painted him myself with his studded clothing and knock knees. He fits perfectly into Necromunda with its medieval peasant vibe, so great model choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a cutie isn't he, the little hunched fella!

      Delete