Thursday 23 March 2023

Cold Trader Void Troopers

I've been steadily working away at a project that I've wanted to do for some time - creating a crew to accompany my Necromunda Cold Trader. I always wanted to create more than a 4-strong group. Not only is this now possible in the Necromunda rules, but they're the perfect premise for a Stargrave crew. Happily, I have a weekend of Stargrave gaming coming up next month, so that was the perfect motivation to work on some new figures to accompany my Cold Trader.



I wanted the additional figures for the crew to give the feel of professional no-nonsense criminals. These aren't gutter scum or lawless pirates. This is an efficient and meticulously-planned smuggling operation that requires a skilled workforce. The first group of figures are exactly that - disciplined and well-trained, if perhaps a little morally suspect!

As you might well recognise, the 5-strong squad is made from 1990s NecromundaVan Saar gangers with head swaps. The helmeted heads are from an Imperial Guard / Astra Militarum tank crewman with the Imperial eagle carved away from the front. The rebreather head is from a Space Marine kit, and the heavy weapons trooper has one of the obscure metal Imperial Guard heads from a conversion kit that was briefly available in the early 2000s.



The head swaps were pretty simple, just needing a little bit of sculpting to create the collars of their suits and to cover the scars where those Van Saar ponytails were removed. 


Paint-wise it was relatively simple, using the colour scheme established on the Cold Trader. I figured that the blue sections would be 'hard' (helmets, mag boots, knee pads) and that the rest of the suit would be flexible.

A 5-man squad will be useful in games where I need some local security types

In Stargrave terms, these are 3x Troopers...

...and this pair represents a Gunner and a Commando

I'm really pleased with how they look, especially considering they are pretty simple to make, and the paint scheme is quick. They also look pretty good alongside the Cold Trader and his more exotic companions:


Not quite a full Stargrave crew - more to come!


 

11 comments:

  1. Love that these new additions are re-purposed Van Saar sculpts (My second-least fav gang from the original Necro range). The head swaps and paint jobs really make them seem like brand new sculpts altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai! Which was your least favourite gang?

      I do like a good headswap - they can completely change the look of a figure.

      Delete
    2. Those silly cartoony Goliaths were the bottom of the pile for me. Just nonsense Mohawks and proportions imo. Funny thing is I have a handful in my bits box that I’m stuck on how to convert to make them better aesthetically?

      Delete
    3. Just removing the mohawks would do a lot I think, but they're tricky!

      Delete
    4. That’s an idea. Perhaps I’ll try on a juve and see how I fare.

      Delete
  2. Hmm, amazing how much the head swap totally repurposed the minis. It took me a second look to realise they actually were Van Saars, so I mean it's quite an splendid job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! Headswaps are generally pretty simple and effective I reckon. Glad you like these lads 🙂

      Delete
  3. Very nice! Those van Saars have an efficient feel that a lot of 40k models don't. I used some as Fremen a while back. Your colour scheme has a cool old-school sci-fi feel, and the head swaps really help give them a new identity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Efficient is exactly the word. No loincloths, spiked pads or skull adornments. They look totally functional! Glad you like the colours 😊

      Delete
  4. Oh, loveliness! The Van Sars are some great sculpts, and I love the variety you've created with the swaps. They look quite professional! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really like the neat and tidy look the Van Saars have 🙂

      Delete