Tuesday 18 October 2022

Five Parsecs From Home Crew #5 - Mercenary

 


Every crew should have a militaristic heavy. You know, they might be the silent hard-as-nails mercenary with loads of gear from a crack commando unit, or the over-confident arrogant muscle-head with an over-fondness for loud ballistic weapons. Someone who can bring some decent firepower to the party if it all starts to get a bit tasty!


Paol Castillo, Human Mercenary

Five Parsecs from Home profile: 
Crew type: human; Background: drifter; Motivation: revenge; Class: mercenary
I knew when I rolled up Castillo that I needed someone with some decent gear. A business-like weapon and some decent armour. I originally looked at some of the RT space pirates and mercenaries before selecting Ventolin from the adventurers range. He's got the right mix of gear without looking too much like a member of a military unit.

Stargrave type:
Trooper


Castillo got my go-to dirty chipped white for his armour, with the teal that I've been using across the crew as a spot colour in a couple of places. He's notable for being the first figure where I've really used any contrast paints - skeleton horde on the pouches and basilicum grey on the cloth and boots. Pretty happy with the results and the time reduction on the overall paintjob.



Spin-Off Project: More Stargrave Crew
I needed some more figures to round out my Five Parsecs crew into a 10-strong Stargrave crew, so I grabbed Old World Jack (RT mercenaries) and the Astronaut from Talisman as a second trooper and recruit respectively.

They got exactly the same treatment as Castillo:



Very pleased with how they came out - they look nicely coherent as crew members, as well as all being unique individuals.




13 comments:

  1. Looking good! I do like that dirty white colour. I ought to paint some of the very old marines I've got lying around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toby! I reckon dirty white would look great on old school marines 🙂

      Delete
  2. Absolutely fantastic work. The blue accents against the white look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill! I do like a nice strong and simple colour scheme.

      Delete
  3. 5 Parsecs has really got you digging through your old, unloved classics.
    I can't imagine a better result :)

    My two favourite characters in the above pics are Old World Jack's eyebrows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect this means that I now need to name and roll up backgrounds for each eyebrow. Perhaps they are a sentient symbiotic species that provide an endless observation and commentary on Jack's inadequacies as a space mercenary?!

      Delete
    2. Catachan brain caterpillars, perhaps? They surely must have an entry in the Rogue Trader bestiary!

      Delete
    3. Ah, the obscure ancillary Catachan Fauna table! Silly me to forget that one 😉

      Delete
    4. Hah!
      I am Old World Jack's quizzical eyebrow xenofauna...

      Delete
  4. Fantastic looking crew! Love that the colors really pull the varied models together! I really like how the teal pops from the rest of the model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hobbs! It's been really refreshing to try a less-constrained project tied together by a single spot colour. Huge amount of fun!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I do love them! It's just as you said, they look coherent, yet unique. Fantastic job on those whites and the colour combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! It was a lot of fun working out how these would work coherently, whilst also retaining their individuality. That's why Ventolin got a teal rebreather whilst the astronaut got the full team helmet. Similarities but not regimented!

      Delete