Friday 30 September 2022

Five Parsecs From Home Crew #2 - Robot

 


I was 100% certain that I wanted to include a robot in my Five Parsecs crew. The crew build system allows you to include up to 1 bot, so I rooted around in my boxes and turned up the fabulous Spacefarers S42 security robot.

The 25mm Spacefarers range was produced by Citadel in the early 1980s before the switch to 28mm that came with the publication of Rogue Trader in 1987. Most of the robots are wildly out of scale, coming in at around 42-45mm or even 54mm in the case of the giant robot sentinel.


A-D0M, Bot

Five Parsecs From Home Profile: Bot

Stargrave Type: Trooper, Robot


The figure has an integral base, but I just mounted it on a 30mm round base and puttied around to conceal it. A-D0M was painted in a fairly retro sci-fi colour scheme (I was thinking of 2-1B - the Star Wars medical droid).


The paint job was super quick - washes over a base coat then several drybrushed highlights. The eye lenses were only area that really got any attention.

A-D0M and Oon-groo


Spin-off Project: Spacefarers S43 Battle Droid

If you're going to paint one 42mm scale retro robot figure, then why not paint two! The battle droid is also from the Spacefarers range. I really love the art deco vibe of the figure with its serene face and lovely elegant head crest.



I switched up the paint scheme (you'll see this white and blue-green replicated on future figures). The biggest hassle was repairing a bit of damage on the right hand which needed three new fingers and the lower part of the hand and wrist resculpting. Hopefully it's not noticable!


The battle droid definitely feels more 'human' than the security robot.


The fun part of painting these larger scale figures was that I started wondering about some 42mm skirmish games. Rooting around in my collection revealed I have at least a dozen other figures that could work in 42mm (just take a look at the first pic in this post) - something to think about in future!

  

11 comments:

  1. Interesting models. I really like that even though they were scaled differently, as robots they'll fit in fine. I really like that color of blue, and combined with the white is going to look ace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hobbs. They're really nice models even if they are pretty crudely sculpted, even compared against RT era figures. I'm 100% with you that scale doesn't really matter for robots (or aliens for that matter).

      Delete
  2. Hey Axiom Thanks for posting this I'm starting to collect 40/ 42mm figures for scifi gaming (star wars really) I'd be keen to see what other figures in your collection would work in that scale (1/43rd or so). There's not huge amounts of figures in this scale and genre I don't think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem - I'll happily take some pics and will share my thoughts!

      Delete
  3. 42mm? What's this madness?? No, seriously, they look great, I find the bot particularly interesting, both in terms of design/sculpt and of your paintjob. It certainly has a SW medical droid resemblance, but with a differentquality, some retro vibe that makes it so special. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, 42mm isn't really a rabbit hole I want to go down, but it's fun if I can do something without any extra effort based on my existing collection 🙂

      The first one is definitely my favourite - I really love the rickety retro look!

      Delete
  4. There's something very creepy about art deco robots - I've always loved those old metal Necron pariahs - and these look great. I think they'll look fine scale-wise. The colour schemes suit both of them very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten about those classic Pariahs - they definitely have that same deco look. Glad you like this pair!

      Delete
  5. The second one could almost be an alien in armor. I never would have guessed that the spacefarers bots would work out so well. (I have a couple of their jetcycles, obtained without knowing the scale difference. Great stuff! But small.)

    Glad to see this. I really ought to give StarGrave a go. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, there's definitely more of an armour vibe with the second one. I've also got a couple of the jetcycles that I keep on hoping I'll find a use for!

      I like Stargrave as a game - lots of fun.

      Delete
  6. Love the teal finish to the A-DOM

    ReplyDelete