Tuesday 5 October 2021

The Botched Deal (at Bring Out Your Lead 2021)


Like most gamers, I haven't had many opportunities to play miniatures games in the last 18 months, so it was brilliant when after being cancelled in 2020 and delayed from August 2021, Bring Out Your Lead was finally able to be held.

Bring Out Your Lead is an annual gaming event hosted by Wargames Foundry, appealing to old school wargamers. The delayed 2021 event was held over the weekend of 1-3 October, featuring games of Warhammer 3rd edition, Rogue Trader and Dark Future among others. There are some nice sets of pictures from BOYL 2021 at the following blogs:


Tony Yates' Shadowkings Blog

Dave Wood's Dear Tony Blair Blog


I was able to attend on the Saturday, and spent most of the day playing a fun multiplayer game of Stargrave with Paul, Chris and Graham. It was an excellent opportunity to get some newly painted terrain on the board, and to play only my second miniatures game in 18 months.


A small town kind of place.

The local law is just across the street from the Grand Hotel.






It was really great to spend the day catching up with some old friends, as well as meeting some new ones (such as Carmine from Indelible Ink).


I'd been busily making and painting some new terrain for the game. You'll have already seen 4 out of my 5 Grimsforge buildings, but in the run up to BOYL I also painted:


The local law office (scratchbuilt by the amazing Grimsforge, painted by me):





A wind turbine (resin and metal kit from Daemonscape):



Some crates(by Games Workshop):


And some very useful 3D printed resin fences (from eBay seller Warpigmodels):



Put them all together and you start to get some really fun settings!




24 comments:

  1. What a good looking setup mate and those new scenic pieces are lovely and definitely up to your amazing standards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Dai! It was a real treat to get everything on a table and roll some actual dice!!

      Delete
  2. Love this Jon, those buildings and cowboys remind me of the cursed earth and the Megazine Lawless story
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's no coincidence that I have just finished reading volume 3 of Lawless!! It's pretty much my ideal scifi setting.

      Delete
  3. Great to finally meet you in person too, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope we can do it again some time!

      Delete
  4. A few great pieces to finish up the town. And then the town in action! Or at least behind it. What a great way to finish up a project. Glad to hear you had a successful BOYL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hobbs! It was really nice to get it all laid out and played over.

      Delete
  5. It was a badly needed dose of normality to finally some toy spacemen around with you and the lads Axiom. That terrain set is an absolute treat too.

    Hopefully we can make up for some lost time over the next while, and get some more days like that in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely agree cheetor. I've really missed events and opportunities like this - it was great to get out, play and hang out!

      Looking forward to the next opportunity.

      Delete
  6. Oh that's what you were up to... spotted it in passing a few times and it looked great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Finn! It's one of my regrets that I was so head down that I didn't really get chance to see too many other games.

      Delete
  7. Good job. I really like this western / sci-fi style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That vibe is very much my favourite 🙂

      Delete
  8. It looks awesome. Great models and terrain! I really wanted to do BOYL, but living where I do, it was impossible to risk the petrol. I really like this terrain style. It reminds me of the planet towards the back of Rogue Trader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a real shame that the petrol crisis coincided with that weekend. I know a couple of others who had to cancel for exactly that reason. Glad you like the terrain, and hopefully you can make it next year!

      Delete
  9. Oh, I'm so out of the world I didn't even recall BOYL was happening last weekend! Oh, thanks for the pics, you know I'm a devoted fan of your buildings (oh, and all your work!). Pretty nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a lower key event than previous years, and the post-evebt coverage wasn't wall to wall this time!

      Glad you like the buildings!

      Delete
  10. everytime I see the boyle exclusive miniature I have to cry. It is so sad that I will never own a version of captain Naibob Quirke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great mini and I can absolutely sympathise with everyone who isn't able to attend BOYL to get one.

      Delete
  11. It's great seeing how things are almost back to normal where you are at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's still plenty of challenges, and no-one is sure how things will pan out, but it was great that BOYL was able to go ahead.

      Delete