Monday 18 January 2021

Strontium Dogs - Wee Willy

Happy New Year all! In the post holiday period I wanted a quick and fun creative bit of hobbying. Something with a little bit of modelling, but not too much. Something that could fit in with one of one of my existing projects. Painting up a new Strontium Dog was the perfect way of ticking all the boxes.


Wee Willy and Middenface McNulty scour the streets for a target.

I'm calling this new diminutive Strontium Dog Wee Willy (although other equally amusing names will no doubt come to light in due course!). Paint-wise, he has a muted version of Johnny Alpha's colour scheme. He is of course, so tiny that he was very quick to paint!



The figure is a modified super villain from Citadel's Golden Heroes range shown 2nd from left in the middle row of the flyer below (pic courtesy of Stuff of Legends).


I added a new resin pistol and some simple pouches, pads and strapping:



I decided to keep him on the pre-slotta base as it had a nice concrete texture, and just integrated it into the slotta with a bit of sand, pieces of cork matting and strategically applied static grass.

Wee Willy might be one of the smallest Stronts, but his pistol packs a punch!



18 comments:

  1. I still owe you two Stronts! I will endeavour to get them both finished before the end of the year...

    My hobby time has stalled dramatically due to mental health issues, sadly. I haven't got a single thing done in months. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really sorry to hear that you're not feeling in the right place for hobbying :( Hope you find the right project to get you enthused again. And don't worry about the Stronts if you're not able to get them made. Take care!

      Delete
  2. Another great model! Thanks for continuing to inspire with your conversions.

    I also find it funny that I just picked up the villain with the green Mohawk from that citadel hero's line. I'm slowly collecting models for an eventual Necromunda gang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them! The mohawk guy is a great figure too - really does have that Mecromunda vibe!

      Delete
  3. Your conversions are so clean and inspirational. Honestly your prepaint pictures make it look so much easier than it is... makes me wana break out the green stuff. Great paint as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! Greenstuff work is largely about having the right tools and patience. I predominantly use clay shapers and a couple of metal tools. The key thing is not to try and do too much in one go, but layer it up.

      Delete
    2. Yeah I've got the clay shapers and metal tools. I've done a couple bits that I'm pleased with, mostly organic things like arms. But your ability to make sharp and hard shapes is awesome!

      Delete
    3. Yeah, hard shapes are tricky. I find it best to do final shaping when the greenstuff has partially cured as it holds the edge better. I also cut sharp edges with a craft knife or file them on cured greenstuff. Although I don't do this myself, I've heard that mixed of greenstuff and brown brownstuff or Milliput are good for getting hard shapes as the mix is less elastic than pure greenstuff.

      Delete
  4. Love him, I think the fact his suit is so evocative of Johny's is great and that builds up the character immediately with all the "strontium runt" and all he must get all the time !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! "Strontium runt" is perfect :D

      Poor guy, right?!

      Delete
  5. too good...really clever and superbly executed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Blue! I love digging out odd models and repurposing them :)

      Delete
  6. The first picture is so cool !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had a lot of fun setting it up :)

      Delete
  7. Very creative shot, that first photo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was trying to have a bit of fun with the terrain :)

      Delete