Friday 24 July 2020

The Unexpectedly Large Alien

Completely out of the blue, an ebay auction caught my eye last week. It was for a set of three 'People Eaters' - digital sculpts being sold by a 3D print seller. The models were cute in a Monsters Inc. type way, and I thought they might be fun little creatures, described as they were as an average of 20mm tall.

Except they weren't 20mm tall...they were 55mm-60mm tall! My tiny cute aliens were now big hulking brues (but still cute). I've since discovered that the three digital sculpts were by Ill Gotten Games from their Urzan Liberty Corps Kickstarter - it turns out that the 20mm scale refers to tiny teddy bear commandos, not the big alien beasties!

I decided to paint up my favourite of the three, a three-eyed, mono-horned furry beast with fairy wings. I got rid of the wings, roughly covered the unsightly cut marks and painted it up in around 45minutes.



My approach was to take a big brush and stipple / drybrush over a black undercoat. I started with a dark grey, then a light grey, then an off-white. I did some sepia washes in a few places, a light blue wash around the face and belly, then painted the face, claws and tech bits.



I'm very happy with the results given the quick and dirty paint job - the resulting figure provides the perfect muscle for any alien mercenary crew! My 9-year old son was also very taken with the figure - he said it looked like a Star Wars alien or creature from his favourite Netflix series 'The Last Kids on Earth'.

Picture of the beasties in the ebay listing.

And the three of them (28mm servitor for scale).



A selection of aliens (L-R: Two Kryomek aliens, Crooked Dice Colony 87, Four-A Miniatures, Ill Gotten Games

The alien is probably a bit too cute to fit into the 40k universe, but in a broader setting, it fits in perfectly. Irrespective of that, it makes me smile looking at its cute face!

14 comments:

  1. Splendid find, paint up, and story telling!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you like it! I really like to hear how other people track down obscure miniatures, so I figure I might as well tell people the same :)

      Delete
  2. He looks good. Impressive that he took so little time to paint! He could be related to the Cthellian Cudbear, or perhaps one of those big furry monsters that the Dark Eldar have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toby. The limited paint time was driven by a small window of opportunity. The texture made it relatively straightforward.

      There's definitely a familial resemblance to the Cudbear :)

      Delete
  3. It looks great. Kind of like how a bear can be cute, before it eats you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's definitely on that border between cute and deadly.

      Delete
  4. I don't think he's too cute for 40K, surely not everything in that setting has to be horribly "Grimdark"? (I mean, look at the pansy elder!)

    Love the colours you went with though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree, it's easy to get too narrowly focused when there's actually plenty of scope for a variety of figures.

      Glad you like the colour scheme!

      Delete
  5. This has the makings of a Harry and the Henderson's game written all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic job ... great colors and texture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you approve of the big furry beastie!

      Delete
  7. If you haven't thought of this already, ULA would make a great name for that beastie, in a Melmac sort of way.

    ReplyDelete