Monday 15 January 2018

Eldritch Raiders the Army - Beginnings

I can't remember exactly when I build my last actual army. I know it was for a tournament in the mid-2000s. I know it was Eldar, and I know it was when the plastic Dire Avengers had just been released. I know this because I built lots of them.

Since then I have focused solely on skirmish level games. Blood Bowl. Necromunda. Inquisimunda. Shadow War Armageddon. I have not desired making or playing with an army in any way shape or form.

But then some of the Oldhammer folks started doing the Old World Army Challenge, and I wondered whether a small army might be feasible. Whether it might be fun. Whether I should actually make one of the armies I've always wanted. At the same time Asslessman over at Leadplague was having similar thoughts. So we made a gentleman's agreement to each build and paint a 40k army over the course of 2018. In fact Asslessman has already made a start with his fabulous chaos squats. Check them out. I on the other hand, will be building a delicate, refined, classical Space Elf force using the Eldritch Raiders list from the Book of the Astronomican.





My plan is to paint up the Space Elves loosely using the Eldritch Raiders list over the course of 2018. This actually doesn't involve too many figures, so I can paint in and around other projects with relative freedom. At the end of it, I'll have sufficient Space Elves to make a small scouting force that I can supplement with more troops over time. The added bonus of this is to actually paint up some bucket list models as a result.

Eldritch Raiders army list, BOTA

Eldritch Raiders army list, BOTA

After looking at the list, my bijou army will comprise:

1 Malefactor (Psychic Lieutenant) (179pts)
1 Prefactor (Lieutenant) (94pts)
2 x Probati (Officers) (2 x 25pts)
2 x Serpent squads (2 x 119pts)
1 x Dragon squad (188pts)
2 x Grav-Attacks (2 x 264pts)

This comes in 1,277 points in total and comprises 19 figures plus 2 vehicles. I had a root in my boxes of Eldar and managed to approximate the weapon load-outs of the various squads and characters with the figures below. 


The two Armorcast / Epicast Falcons will be perfect period Grav-Attacks. The musician will represent the Malefactor, while the other officers will be represented by trio with swords at the front. I've made a conscious decision to limit the conversions for the force, but I couldn't resist mocking up a minor hand swap for the Prefactor. After all the army list entry does say he carries a power sword (along with his pair of laspistols, shuriken pistol and shuriken catapult!).


More to come as I get round to it - expect to see a squad of 5 and a character painted up by the end of February.

40 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to seeing your progress on this project. I have always had a fondness for the original Eldar range. I haven't seen those old style falcons in ages, so bonus points to you for those too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all Jes' Eldar, but the early ones are so much fun. They really are great individuals.

      Delete
  2. Now you've both laid down the gauntlet. Shall I go Orks or shall I go Squats? Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squats. No question for me. They're cooler, grumpier and less commonly encountered.

      Delete
    2. Jon awesome to hear you and JB are throwing the army challenge down, and if Colin joins in whoa boy! Go squats Colin. ;) Cheers fellas

      Delete
    3. Join in too Tom, or have you too busy with your mega scratchbuild? :)

      Delete
    4. I'm pretty busy with my mega scratch build. ;) We will see tho.

      Delete
  3. Now there is an excellent project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still amazed by the point cost of the troopers... 15 squats get me to 550 points only !
    It's going to a fun journey, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly don't get a lot for your points!!

      Delete
  5. Ah, the good old days, where 19 models is an "army"! (and the two vehicles of course).

    Looking forward to seeing how these come out, your eldar figures are always so sublime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 19 models sounds like a perfect size for an army to me!!

      Delete
  6. You should check out ToE's retro-clone Eldar army. ^^

    http://tearsofenvysblog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/all-eldar-so-far.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely! Mental note not to do grey with yellow helmets!

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to seeing this Jon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, This is absurd. Who ARE you? You don't just think like me, your process is the same, and you start off with all the same bits. I'll get around to showing you what I mean as soon as I can manage.

      ....and DAMN, son, you're good at what you do!!

      Delete
    2. 🤣 Nice to hear I'm not the only one who thinks like this! Glad you like the figures too.

      Delete
  8. Corr! This makes me want to build my Space Pirates into a game-legal force.

    Nice to see those old Falcons coming out and getting some love! Classic doorstop designs, great choice for grav-attacks. Old Epicast skimmers would be good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should get on and start planning those space pirates! I have some of the Epicast skimmers that I can throw into the mix for some variety. Assuming I get that far!

      Delete
  9. I think I've only ever built one complete army in my life Jon, the Space Wolf one last year. Every other army was a "never finished" project :(

    There's quite a few armies/merc forces in BOTA isn't there! Don't see many of them getting made, more's the shame I say, as they're pretty cool and eclectic.

    Re the skimmers, I've got an old Gamilon spaceship that I've had for ages. One day I'll paint him up to go with my Eldar crew.

    This is a great project you two have got going on Jon. I'm looking forward to seeing you completing it. Hope you can keep the motivation up.

    Is that a new weapon in the last pic Jon? An axe sword :P

    Cheers mate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I've only ever built one complete army"...don't the space orks count as an army? There's LOADS of them!!

      I only actually have 8 pages from BOTA - they were photocopied and then posted to me from a kind guy in the US (whose name I can't remember), back in the early days of the internet, when scanning and emailing large files was tricky. I have kept them safe and sound for years! One day I might track down a copy of the book.

      The sword axe is actually just a sword with a big hunk of flash. I will be removing it ;)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, well I forgot about those green bastard's didn't I :D I meant a proper, worked out, by the book army. The SW are the only "real" army ;)

      I was just kidding with the sword :p That's a mighty big bit of flash on our isn't it!

      Delete
    3. Typical of those greenskins. They don't do anything by the book - no organisational skills!

      Yep, it's one big piece of flash :)

      Delete
  10. Nice! I love the old Eldar models and I'm keen to see what you'll do with 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr Mouse! I hope I do them justice.

      Delete
  11. Looking forward to seeing this progress. I'm trying to paint an eldar force myself for 2018... but I can't decide on a colour scheme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colour scheme is tricky. I know I want it to be old school bright colours, probably with some tiger stripes somewhere! I gave ideas, but I'm still pondering.

      Delete
    2. So has your pondering come a conclusion? I also have a fair old collection of classic Eldar minins awaiting some paint, but deciding on a scheme is indeed the most trying part. The figs I had (and sold off) back in the 80s were the classic blue and yellow helmet brigade, plus a few in grey. Pretty much what was in the 40k rule book.

      Delete
  12. Nice to see those old Falcons - I'll be forever kicking myself for selling off the one I had in the '90s. Not a great model, but I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're crude and blocky, but they are definitely still cool!

      Delete
    2. I'm kicking myself for getting rid of my Armorcast Baneblade! It was hideous, but hey, it had some character. Luckily I managed to grab the 3 Tyranid kits in a trade with a friend though!

      Delete
  13. Loving those old Falcons as well! A buddy of mine has one, and the original Scorpion in his massive Eldar collection.
    I've had to be careful about this range, as I love Jes Goodwin models, but never really had a fondness for anything beyond the original Scout models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky enough to have picked up nearly all the licensed Eldar vehicles. I have the Tempest / Scorpion in my Saim Hann army :)

      Jes' aspect warriors really ignited my love of Eldar, but I can't wait to revisit these lovely original figures.

      Delete
    2. I've been after the original Striking Scorpions for awhile now, but my leadpile backlog is so large I've stayed away.
      Must not purchase more marines...

      Delete
  14. A promising project for sure! As for building an army I don't think I ever completed one big enough to put on the gaming table although I came pretty close with the Chaos Space Marines and the Orks.

    ReplyDelete