Wednesday 13 December 2017

Choose Your Own Adventurers #16: Judda, Space Eunuch

Sometimes models take on a life of their own. They become personalities through the games they're used in and the experiences they have. Add the character of the sculpt into the mix, and you end up with a firm favourite.

"No, Mister Fisk will NOT see you now!"

Judda was painted over a year ago, but I am choosing to use him as the next instalment of Choose Your Own Adventurers because I didn't blog about him at the time, and also he has become (through his highs and lows), one of my favourite characters.

Described as "Scum" on the Adventurers colour advert, the figure is also referred to as a Space Eunuch. He brandishes a chunky chainsword and sports a natty armoured mankini. With his shaven head, and copious quantities of bare flesh, I decided that he was the perfect model to act as the bodyguard to my Helsreach Water Seller, Silwon Fisk.

Silwon Fisk flanked by his closest companions. Rumours of illegal gene-cloning are unfounded.

Judda was conceived as Fisk's bodyguard with an undercurrent of forbidden love. His in-game role was to defend Fisk's ash wastes crawler from any boarders, and of course, to ensure Fisk did not get harmed. Over the course of the ash wastes campaign we played at the end of 2016 and early 2017, Judda proved himself to be a rather dim-witted and clumsy bodyguard. His list of notable actions includes:

  • Failing to re-board Fisk's crawler by tripping and injuring himself (the crawler having been hijacked by a rival gang).
  • Failing to defend the crawler when boarded by a hoard of ferocious greenskins.
  • Being forced to give up his chainsword in exchange for Bran, an unlucky captured Maniak (Fisk's mercenary protection).
  • Winning a sword fight against a Redemptionist leader, to be rewarded by Fisk later that night.
  • Allowing Fisk to suffer serious melta burns from a rival Journeyman.

But after all that, the post-battle petting and sweet treats from Fisk, the catcalls from rival gangs over his fashion choices, wouldn't you be rather fond of Judda too?




Judda's paint scheme is in imitation of his master/lover. I repeated the white armoured sections, tattoos and blue spot colours.



Just in case you can't see it, Judda also got a nice little buttock tattoo. I think Fisk's hands are bigger though!


The Space Eunuch really is a joy to paint. After all, it's not very often you get to paint bald dudes with big chainswords and wearing armoured thongs is it?!

Curis will share the next adventurer, followed by cheetor. I suspect my next offering will be in the New Year!


30 comments:

  1. Fantastic Axiom. The tattoos are great for adding visual details to a model with a lot of fairly smooth surface area.

    And as for that high concept bavk story, fab.

    The model has "Space Eunuch" on the tab BTW. I imagine that despite the intentions of the sculptor, marketing figured that a marginally less provocative title might sell better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks cheetor. I did enjoy painting the tattoos - notice he is less tattooed than Fisk, but more so than the little micro-Fisk. I suppose that's relevant to their status.

      I really enjoy the implied concept that all three figures are Fisk. And one of them is Fisk's lover. Is that incest, or narcissism, or something else?

      Delete
    2. Heh.

      You should pick up a copy of "Zombo: Can I Eat You Please?" from 2000AD if you are leaning that way.

      Delete
    3. As ever, I should investigate your recommendation :)

      Delete
  2. Well I'm in love!

    But shouldn't the hand tattoo be the other way up? . . Unless he was lying down when the silhouette was drawn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's go with him lying down! I'm not changing it ;)

      Delete
  3. I love your take on this classic, and the back story adds a great deal to the overall selling of the paint job, especially when put alongside the companion miniatures.

    He has a distant cousin (or at least a fellow gene-clone) in "Boss Sass" the leader of my Underhive Scum gang, though Sass wears a grey bodyglove under his carapace armour and only really loves creds and what he can buy with them.

    He will show his ugly bald head online as well, as soon as I can figure out the digital camera...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boss Sass sounds great! I'm a huge fan of ugly bald heads :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks - I liked the sound of "Boss Nass", but that's still got the stink of the Star Wars prequels all over it, so I just changed one letter.

      Delete
    3. Boss Sass sounds like a 1970s disco flavoured pimp :D

      Delete
  4. He has a personality all his own I will give you that, and it has been highlighted exceptionally by your paint job. Love the backstory, and his exploits, lol. It's great when a miniature can make their own history. Great stuff Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom. I'm a big fan of the character he became. The rest of the gang by and large were faceless stooges, but Judda and Fisk were key players in the narrative, for all their incompetence.

      Delete
  5. The eunuch is a favourite mini of mine, and you've done a wonderful job on him. I really like the backstory, Judda has developed into quite an entertaining character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr Saturday! I originally planned for him to be a Slaaneshi cultist. I think he's more interesting as he turned out.

      Delete
  6. Such a cheeky tattoo!

    This seems to be one of the most highly priced Adventurers. I suspect it's because with the chainsword he's an obvious combatant that can slip into a number of armies. And there's a surprisingly lack of figures with chainsaws in the Rogue Trader range (despite it being such a staple weapon in the period's army lists).

    I really like the trio of figures in matching colours. That's a nice way of spinning the theme out beyond the range. Are the tattoos you've gone with an extension of the eunuch theme – that he's a piece of property to be marked by his owner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone likes a cheeky tattoo! He's a good fit in lots of settings, I agree. I definitely like him in the bodyguard role - he could easily be in a Rogue Trader or Inquisitor's retinue.

      The tattoos were definitely to create a visual link - whether it's ownership, or clan ties, I'm uncertain.

      Delete
  7. The tatoos are magnificent :O
    This is a nice take on this character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! All that skin cried out for some tattoos :)

      Delete
  8. Simply brilliant work, and the backstory is great! I miss some of the mental-ness of the old RT era, so fun to see that stuff take to the table again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more pathetic a character is, the more RT they feel I think. My Inquisitor Dirske was a notorious coward and dire shot in a series of Inquismunda games. I couldn't have asked for more!

      Delete
  9. I see the little guy is a naughty one !
    I really like this band of semi naked thieves, they have a Jodorowsky charm that's just great !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the little guy needs watching! I really must attempt to channel more Jodorowsky :)

      Delete
  10. Goodness that's a fab mini, with a smashing paintjob and an even better backstory.

    RT to the max.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai! Really glad you like him - character flaws and all :)

      Delete
  11. Can't really think of anything to add Axiom. He's just too damn good....at looking good, not on the tabletop though apparently :P

    Cool banana's mate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking good is far more important than tabletop efficacy I think. I really have no objection to it being that way round :D

      Delete
  12. Heh heh ... nice touch on the butt tattoo. Great attention to detail man! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There should be more butt tattoos on miniatures I think :)

      Delete
  13. Oh, now that's a heck of a take on a classic miniature. Well done, sir! Yes, that's probably smaller than Fisk's hand, but it's not the size of a man's handprint, it's the . . . oh . . . never mind. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Darn, I missed this cool post in the pre Xmas rush! Everything I would have said has been said... Nice concept, great fluff, hilariously spotty in game record :D

    ReplyDelete