Tuesday 14 November 2017

Ork Warboss Krugg Fangrot and Banna Waver

Every fledgling ork warband needs a boss to shout at people and to be the biggest, toughest, meanest greenskin around. And how does a boss show people he's the boss? By having a grot carry his personal banner around behind him.

My boss is the fairly ubiquitous Thrugg Bullneck from the Rogue Trader Space Ork Raiders box set. Thrugg is a pretty hefty figure - hulking (by early RT standards), and pulling off a suitably boss-like pose. My copy of Thrugg (aka Krugg Fangrot) has a few rounded elements (probably from rolling around in a box somewhere), but he's in relatively fine fettle.

Krugg Fangrot with his boss pole.

I added the little Blood Bowl snotling to the base because I liked it. Plus I put Krugg on a larger base, so I had some room. The model's pose overspills a standard 25mm base.




Krugg's companion grot is an adapted Makari, usually to be seen accompanying notorious ork warboss Ghazghkull Thraka. I removed Makari's overlarge fur-trimmed helmet with it's 3 unnecessary horns.

Unmodified Makari in the centre.

I then sculpted a new, neater helmet, closer in design to the original Space Goblin, topping it with a trimmed down spike from Makari's original helmet.


I didn't want to make a paper banner, so I opted for a bosspole with some orky glyph plates mounted on it. These were made from plasticard, with a thin strip of card used for the rear fixings. If my ork glyph translation is correct, the threat displayed is that enemies might meet a 'bad pathetic death'. Or something like that.


The colour scheme was the same as my earlier orks - painted yellow metal and armour, with a mixture of grey and blue cloth.

The horns on the banner have been given a gloss varnish to make them look like polished trophies.


So that now brings the teeny tiny warband up to 6 models strong. I think I'll need a few more boys next to fill out the ranks.

Krugg Fangrot's mob. Beware the a bad, yet pathetic death!

24 comments:

  1. Really cool bunch, they have that nice "Waaargh the orks" vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Asslessman. You know, I don't own any of the ork books!

      Delete
    2. Me either Jon, don't feel bad :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I needed that reassurance :)

      Delete
  2. They're great! I have the exact same models ready for leading my own space orks, but although they're prepped it'll take me so long to get round to them that no-one will compare them with this fine pair. I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect there are plenty of ork warbands led by Thrugg and many others with Makari with his banner! I'm sure yours will be lovely :)

      Delete
  3. Cracking job, this mob is looking superfine. You may have found your natural home as an ork painter. I think the glyphs are a bang on solution to the banner, so much so I will salt that idea away for future theft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr Saturday! Let's say I'm warming to the idea of orks ;)

      Glyphs seem to be both modern and retro, I did lick the easy ones to make though!

      Delete
  4. There's a lot to like here Jon! I love the little grot standing "guard" in front of Thrugg :)

    Did you sculpt those goggles on the banner bearer too? If you did, much kudos to you mate.

    Really great warband! It's awesome watching it grow with each new edition.

    Top stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shane! The little guy has just the right attitude I think.

      I deserve no kudos on the goggles- they're from Victoria Miniatures. Perhaps I should give it a go?

      Delete
  5. That boss pole is baller son! That tiny grot on Thrug s hilarious as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them! I need that tiny grot. Perhaps he's the brains behind the outfit?

      Delete
  6. Love the glyph pole, seems more "Orky" than an actual banner anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon you're right - after all, can you imagine greenskins trying to do embroidery?!

      Delete
    2. Potato stamp painting seems more their level of "artistry". (do kids do that in the UK?)

      Delete
    3. They certainly do! A time honoured technique.

      Delete
  7. Haha, you nailed it all! I think your choices here are total wins. Luvinly Orkish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good choice on the helmet ... he went from tacky to a great looking guy. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original helmet was a bit too cartoony in my view - something a little more understated suits me better :)

      Delete
  9. Great work! I really like how you're sticking to just the early generation of Orks before they got the plastic arms (mostly). Makari always was a slight annoyance that his banner is held at an angle and the rectangle paper banner hangs unnaturally – but you've avoided that with glyph plates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curis. Much as I like the plastic armed goons, these early orks seem to be a little grittier.

      Makari has no issues with his pole being 3 degrees off vertical now- he doesn't care a jot.

      Delete