Tuesday, 21 February 2017

Beware the Cthellean Cudvark

Every worldly-wise space adventurer or rogue trader is familiar with the wide variety of xenos creatures he or she may encounter: burrowing ambulls, river-dwelling crotalids, the ferro-beasts of Yimbo-bim.

The Cthelle Death World consists primarily of cool woodlands and mountains - inhabited by the easily recognisable Cthellean Cudbear - a shaggy purple beast:

The Cthellean Cudbear as depicted in Rogue Trader


However, in the arid lowlands, there exists a similar animal, occupying a similar ecosystem niche. The Cthellean Cudvark, also known as the False Cudbear, exhibits many of the same physical properties as the Cudbear: large powerful frame, long talons, shaggy purple fur. The Cudvark is however suited ideally to the arid environment, being equipped with powerful digging claws, large ears to radiate heat, and a fur-free head to enable it to investigate prey burrows without becoming clogged with sand and dust.

The Cthellean Cudvark



 
 
In so far as is possible with a giant bipedal animal with purple fur, I attempted to paint the Cudvark in a naturalistic manner, with fleshy tones on the face, lighter underbelly, and darker fur towards the limb extremities:
 
An aardvark. An actual real animal.
 
"Look out! There's a Cudvark getting too close!"
 
The Cudvark is of course no such thing. It is actually a repurposed Tweak from the 45mm 2000AD Miniatures line from Titan Distributors (sculpted and cast by Citadel).
 
 
 
To my mind though, the figure was perfect to represent a dangerous alien beastie for wilderness games (or possibly as a star attraction at the inter-galactic zoo!).


18 comments:

  1. I love how this one inspires both comedy and threat.
    Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing says comedy more than the probability that something claws your face off, right? ;)

      Delete
    2. Well, that Cudvark is like bears, you know there's a 99% probability of instant death but the 1% hug probability sure looks tempting. ^^

      Delete
    3. We're all holding out for a 1% chance of a hug in some respects I think!

      Delete
  2. At first I was like "what the hell is that thing!?" But now I'm really impressed that you sourced it from a mini range that I know next to nothing about. His a cool little beasty Axiom, very clever mate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He still is a little bit "what the hell?!" I think. But I like that about figures. Weird, funky, odd...it all fits in :)

      Delete
  3. Very cool - and clever use of such an obscure mini! He's a lovely little sculpt :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was one of those times when I saw a model I didn't know and thought 'I know what I can do with that' ;)

      Delete
  4. Haha, so great! It's the ultimate predator! He uses his appearance to instil calm and trust so you get close enough to pat his head and then... blam! He tears you into pieces! :D
    Gorgeous work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got to watch the cute ones - its a good mantra for life!

      Delete
  5. Okay. That's both weird and kind of charming. :) (And doubtless deadly dangerous.) Your description is fantastic! (And the paint is really good too. Assuming you have a world where the producers are mostly purple it all makes good sense.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted that you're charmed!

      Delete
  6. Cthells (second) greatest hug machine!

    I have a "Tweak" that I was considering using for something else, but at this stage I might as well just copy this one :)

    Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Copy it. We can let them have a hug. We can have a hug. Hell, let's all hug :)

      Delete
  7. I have read countless SciFi stuff and yet I have never imagined such a beast like The Cthellean Cudvark exists. Looks comedic yet threatening at the same time. Weird thing to say I know. Good paint job on a unique looking piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The universe is a big place - plenty of room for cuddly-looking clawed creatures :)

      Glad you like him.

      Delete
  8. Tweek was such a cool character in Dredd. Well, to me as a little boy reading the comic he was. :)

    Love your Cudvark though. Fits in perfectly with your RT world for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dredd completely passed me by, in spite of being the right age at the right time in the right country! Tweak is a fun character design though :)

      Delete