Tuesday 26 January 2016

The Rise of Pan Tang

Back in early 2014, I spent a lot of time and energy tracking down the delightful licensed Eternal Champion range produced by Citadel between 1986-1987. After successfully accumulating the entire range, I duly packaged them in a figure case and did nothing with them. Two years on, and their time has come.

In April I will be travelling to Ireland to meet up with some good friends and gaming buddies for a weekend. Among other things, we will be playing a series of games of Frostgrave - you may have already seen cheetor's fledging Oriental warband, The Shonen Knives. Bar the odd figure here and there, I've not painted a fantasy force for anything since about 1991 or 1992. This seemed to be the perfect opportunity to put some life into some of my Eternal Champion figures.

After some consideration, I decided to use Pan Tangians for my Frostgrave warband, for no other reason than they are much less common than the Melniboneans which were later rolled into Citadel's High Elf range, while painted Pan Tangians are rare as hens teeth!

A Sorcerer of Pan Tang blasts his Melnibonean foes (artwork from the Stormbringer RPG by Chaosium).


My warband will be largely composed of figures from Citadel's Pan Tang range, with the addition of a couple of additional figures to represent my Wizard and Archers. I have decided to place the warband a few decades before the start of Elric's adventures in the Young Kingdoms. My Wizard is Soorkan ul-K'aarna, uncle to Theleb K'aarna who will become one of Elric's greatest enemies. For now, however, Soorkan is the powerful spellcaster of Pan Tang, while Theleb K'aarna is his apprentice.

My first completed figure is Soorkan ul-K'aarna. As Citadel's Pan Tang range only included one sorcerer (Theleb K'aarna himself), I have selected a suitable wizard - the Illusionist from Citadel's C02 range.

Soorkan conjures the deadly cerise whirlwind!
 

Soorkan has the right presence for a senior sorcerer of Pan Tang I think - exotic feathers and jewels, expansive stomach and a silly hat!

To start the wider warband, I also painted up a pair of soliders - an Archer and a Thug (or possibly Man-at-Arms).

Hukram, Pan Tangian Archer.


The Archer is a Citadel Chaos Thug, as there aren't any models of Pan Tangians with bows. With his head wrapping and recurved bow, I figured there were enough design cues to let him rub shoulders happily with the rest of the warband.

Dharmit, Pan Tangian Thug/Man-at-Arms.


Dharmit is actually the first figure actually from the Pan Tangian range, and pretty much the most 'nomad'-like, with his robes, scimitar and headscarf. Most of the rest of the range sport helmets and weapons of different styles.


Given that Pan Tang is an island, I wanted to give Dharmit's shield a sea-faring/nautical feel, so he got a pair of fish chasing each other's tails.

Here's the warband to date:

Sorcerer of Pan Tang, Soorkan ul-K'aarna, flanked by his henchmen.

Over the next couple of months I'll be painting up the rest of the warband, interspersed by other projects, so watch this space for more Pan Tangians in the near future!

17 comments:

  1. Wonderful colours ! Not only is it nice to see those painted but the colourscheme for them is great, teh robe on that sorceror is just perfect !
    I love the new basing, really fitting (and extra cred points for hex basing of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JB. I very much enjoyed painting these up. It was a good exercise to nail down some colours - I've decided to reduce the orange, and increase the pale green on the palette overall. I think sea hues make a fitting colour scheme.

      I will go and bank my cred points now ;)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look fab, Jon. They're a range I've always fancied collecting myself; we don't see enough of them out there painted up. That C02 wizard fits like a glove in their fold. Can't wait to see this develop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed. They're a really nice range - full of character. I can't wait to paint more if I'm honest!

      Delete
    2. Fantasy bug... and so it begins ;)

      Delete
  4. Great choice of minis mate, and loving the painting - good shout on the nautical influence, it's spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure the fish motifs will steer them away from being too Persian / Arabian nights influenced. That's the plan anyway ;)

      Delete
  5. Love the use of the Pan Tangians, way to flex your Oldhammer street cred. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good system, right? Pick an obscure range from the annals of history - a niche within a niche I think!

      Delete
    2. I almost would say a niche if a niche if a niche. That's third level shit right there! LOL

      Delete
  6. Like JB said, those robes on Soorkan look ace. Really smooth Axiom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)I was considering freehand patterns, but chickened out in the end. I figure he's got enough going on with his hat!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous, the shield is a particularly well conceived part of the plan.

    Spending a bit of time getting the colour scheme right before getting fully stuck in is always a good idea. The Pan Tang Klan are going to be exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks cheetor. I've enjoyed painting these much more than I anticipated, and having a play with things like the shield just adds to the fun.

      The Pan Tang Klan hopefully are going to be as nice a set of figures as I've done to date I hope!

      Delete
    2. Like you, I'm finding planning, thinking about and working on a fantasy project to be a nice change.

      Fantasy will never replace sci-fi for me, buts it's proving to be a fun direction to head in for a while.

      Delete
  8. This is well cool. How did you get on with the rest of the set?

    ReplyDelete