Wednesday 11 February 2015

"How Much Is That Creature In The Window...?"

"...The one with the wiggly pseudopod."
 
I was in need of painting something that didn't require too much effort, so decided to pull out some of the stock of my WIP Xenos Pet Trader - this time I wanted to complete the creatures intended to go in his little corral.
 
Aren't they cute! Which one would you buy?

Althaxian Beastling - 75 creds
Loving and easy to care for, if a little jealous around infant humanoids. Watch out for temporal distortion becoming unmanagable without strict house-training.

Citadel Chaos Familiar 'Beastling'

Blue-Faced Howler - 130 creds
Native to the jungle world of Singla IV, Blue-Faced Howlers require open space and dense vegetation to thrive. They are perfect additions to any tropical bio-dome and will delight your visitors with their ringing shrieks and calls.

Citadel Chaos Familiar 'Daemonet'

Adam's Puffer - 200 creds
A delight for those who desire a low maintenance pet. A Puffer will often stand motionless for hours at a time, only moving if another creature comes too close. Take care not to make loud noises or creep up on the Puffer unawares - its violently explosive defense mechanism can prove very messy!

Citadel Ork / Tyranid Squig

Pink-Legged Tunneller - 70 creds
This creature is for owners with no sense of fear (or personal safety). The Tunneller will often seek a secluded space such as a store-room or cellar to make it's own. Be careful not to enter unguarded, or you might find that you are webbed, paralysed and lunch.

Citadel Ork / Tyranid Squig

Newly Hatched Cridlins - 25 creds each
Cridlins are delightful pets - soft and easy to handle, and will eat almost anything. Prospective owners be warned, a Cridlin grows rapidly - a full grown adult can reach 30 metres in height in little under twelve standard weeks.

SHM 15mm aliens 'little krators'

I didn't really spend too much time or effort on these - just base coats, washes and a couple of highlightst. They're good enough for scenario objectives or scenery enhancers though!


And just to prove I'm progressing other areas of the Pet Trader's gear, I've upgraded his tabletop with  reinforced corners and a mechanical picking arm (for when the cute little creatures get a bit grumpy!)

19 comments:

  1. This is easily my favourite miniature thing of 2015 so far. I love the descriptions too.

    Where do the Cridlin models come from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad these appeal :) The Cridlins are actually 15mm aliens from the SHM range (I bought mine from 15mm.co.uk). They've got loads of other aliens, many of which make fine small 28mm creatures.

      Delete
  2. Sure beats putting down plastic gems as objective makers :)

    Great little project there Axiom, would make a nice addition to any game! In fact, I reckon you could build a game just around those critters. Imagine the mayhem that would ensue if a Cridlin was inadvertently stored in a small locker aboard a ship for a few weeks?

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So now I need to make a big Cridlin to run that scenario ;)

      I like the idea of them running wild...that was part of the reason for mounting them separately than on a more aesthically pleasing base.

      Delete
  3. Nice work! and yes, a big Cridlin seems obligatory now...

    The mechanical arm box seems very promising as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Care to pick your favourite exotically-shelled gribbly, sir? Don't worry, we've got all the safety precautions - you take a pace backwards and I'll manipulate the servo-grab. Just take care not to breath in any small clouds of green gas you see emitted..."

      Delete
    2. It occurs to me that rather than "pets" this might be a "exotic meat" seller...

      Delete
    3. It occurs to me that rather than "pets" this might be a "exotic meat" seller...

      Delete
    4. another awesome idea! a bit like the whole. catch your own fish restaurants in Japan.

      Delete
    5. Sold live for freshness? :)

      Delete
  4. I think you have inspired me to paint up the familiars that I have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! They're lovely models, quick to do and I reckon most of them will work in a range of settings :)

      Delete
  5. I need to get stuff out of way quicker... I need some of those 'cridlins' =)
    love the various paintjobs and the character building in the for sale descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The great thing about the little critters is theyre so quick to paint.

    Glad the descriptions aren't just for my own amusement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun stuff. The last picture made me think of 'Flight of the Navigator'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That... Is very true! Now I can't unsee it!

      Great critters, nicely painted and lots of fun. I saw this featured on the 15mm.co.uk blog, by the way.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for painting my 15mm Krators :)

    ReplyDelete