Tuesday 27 January 2015

Wyrm Emerges

But see, amid the mimic rout,
A crawling shape intrude!
A blood-red thing that writhes from out
The scenic solitude!
It writhes! -it writhes! -with mortal pangs
The mimes become its food,
And seraphs sob at vermin fangs
In human gore imbued.
 

- The Conqueror Worm by Edgar Allen Poe

 
Hot off the painting table is probably the most sinister miniature I've made to date I think. I'm not decided whether Wyrm is a fully fledged daemon, mutant or chaos spawn. He is, however, rather disturbing!
 

I attempted a rather old-school John Blanche style paint job on Wyrm - it seemed fitting given that the figure was inspired by some of John's classic conversions. This is probably most evident with the dappled markings on Wyrm's spine crest. I probably used less orange and red than John would have used though!


As a reminder of the conversion - it was a really very simple figure to make - the head was sawn from a 1980s chaos thug, pinned to a Bloodletter torso and then blended with some greenstuff.



Wyrm is destined to be part of the slowly-growing Chaos Cult I'm building. I think he fits in nicely with his buddies!


Inquisitor Dirske chants fortefying catechisms in an attempt to ward off the chaos wyrm!

20 comments:

  1. The Ophidian look of him certainly fits well in this warband ! Seeing all of them in group makes me wonder which of them would be the least horrible to see doing you know... what Slaanesh cultists tend to do...

    The Blanchitsu is trong in this one and although it lacks red and checkers, the grim and the darkness are definitely here !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long and sinuous is perfect for Slaanesh, right?! I'm not entirely sure which would be the best viewing...it would certainly expand your horizons!

      Sadly no red or checks yet...perhaps one day I'll get round to it ;)

      Delete
  2. Super creepy! I love how the paint job ties in with the theme of the rest of the cult - very washed out and fleshy . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fleshy is the right vibe for Slaanesh I think ;) I tend take that approach with most of my 'groups' of figures - pick a colour palette and stick to it. Hopefully it ties them all together, even when (as in this case) they're radically different in physical appearance.

      Delete
  3. What a werid ass figure but in a good, you pulled him/her/it off well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Chico...I must confess, I was aiming for weird ass ;)

      Delete
  4. Pretty nice work there! This one is incredibly disturbing to the eye... but somehow appealing. Wow, I feel kinda dirty for saying that... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the impression other people were thinking the same ;)

      Delete
  5. That looks disturbing and sinister...I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its probably the only figure I've made that I think might be able to wriggle out of the cabinet! *shudders*

      Delete
  6. Well, I can say it was a mistake to wander over to your blog before bed time...

    excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delightfully weird! In my book it's on the same level of awesome as your recent Equus and Scrat the Mutie. More, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do my best! I need to come up with some more interesting figures I guess ;)

      Delete
  8. Very inventive - great stuff

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous. I've generally not been a fan of chaos, but you're slowly selling me on the potential, your conversion work is so splendidly, wrongly, lovely. Very nice indeed. Maybe Moab II need some mutie outcasts in some oddball little cult of change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I guess there might be a difference between Chaos and chaotic...perhaps oddball muties might be the way to go ;)

      Delete
  10. Wow, very disturbing conversion! Well done.
    ...and I think I'll steal the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blanchitsu before it was cool! I love wyrm and his speckled spine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blanchitsu has been cool.for decades I reckon! This is still one of my favourite models :)

      Delete