Wednesday 9 July 2014

Biker Brat Painted

The Biker Brat I converted up for my Brat gang has been languishing unpainted for a couple of months. There were a couple of reasons for this: I had other stuff to work on and I was also a little intimidated by the prospect of painting him.

Anyway, last night I put brush to lead and painted him up (inbetween the odd German goal):

 



In all honesty, I really struggled painting him up. Last night's painting session was the third attempt at getting him done; the bike has previously been painted green and orange before I settled on gold. The fact that I couldn't remove the rider for painting also caused real problems - I repainted various parts numerous times as I kept catching them with clumsy brushes, and there are parts in the dark recesses of his groin that aren't actually painted apart from whatever black spray from the undercoat reached them.

I also had real issues with the colour positioning - even now I think it is 'too much' when you look at him - maybe I'd have been better going for a more neutral bike colour scheme.

Oh well, he's done for now!

15 comments:

  1. Don't be too hard on yourself. I can't see a lot wrong with it. Nicely positioned. What donors have you used? Can tell a couple (head, left arm etc). Didn't realise you used black undercoat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've used a black undercoat for about 15 years - I find it more forgiving ;)

      The body is from Brat 3 - I repositioned the head and legs. Left arm is from an Eldar Harlequin and the bike was a squat bike :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Ed, don't be too hard with yourself !! The good thing is that model is finish for BOYL14, and if you really have a problem with paint result... you can repaint your model during the next months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nico...I may come to love him!

      Delete
  3. Colour wise, the only problem would be the blue lights but otherwise I love the original take on it compared to a traditional look which would have looked weird in that setting.
    The pose is absolutely perfect. I wouldn't change a thing, if you're not entirely happy with it, just use your time on another one or on new brats but this one is just good as it is now really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! The blue lights were the bit I was happiest with! ;)

      Delete
  4. I'd forgotten how cool this figure was. Don't change a thing. He's as cool as he will ever be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That bike and biker absolutely rock. The "nearly too much" is perfect for Bratts! You're bringing him to BOYL, right? I want to see him up close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He looks great axiom, but the tyres are a little too bright IMHO. I think they detract your eye away from the mini a little too much. Maybe dull them down a bit?

    Anyway, I still think you've done an outstanding job with this guy.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He has an amazing almost cartoon look that really appeals to me. I think he looks great!

    Look forward to seeing him in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He came out terrific, thanks for persisting long enough to bring us joy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bringing joy is my mission in life!! Glad you like him :)

    ReplyDelete